A brooding question...

Nugget

Songster
12 Years
Sep 2, 2007
Hi all, I looked through the archives for this answer, but it seems that most people try to take advantage of a broody hen, rather than wish she would get back to the laying business...

My australorp is a great layer- WHEN SHE LAYS! Holy... she takes vacations that last forever. It must be going on 2 months by now. She up and stops laying, and does nothing but sit in her box and stare at the wall. We had to evacuate our home due to a forest fire in mid june. At that time she'd been broody for close to a month. We packed all the chickens into pet carriers and filled our little car to the roof. We overnighted at my in-laws and were allowed home the next day. I thought 'if this doesn't break her broody, nothing will!' and I was right. She's still at it!

This won't matter much in a few months when my pullets start laying, but we've been collecting only from one standard and one bantam hen.

She does seem content and happy in her little box, but she's missing the whole summer. When the others are outside eating bugs and grass she's in the dark little box studying the wall, without anything that even resembles an egg under her.

To anyone with a passionate broody, how long does this go on for? Is she done til next spring??

Some hens won't budge...I had a buff orp that set for 21 days on air...I finally gave in and gave her eggs and she set the next 21 days til the chicks hatched..

I have a Splash orp now that went broody 2 months ago...finally she got up and went on her merry way..til I caught her 2 weeks ago doing the same thing and I can't get her to move...I pick her up 3 times a day and sit her out in the yard, close the door to the henhouse for an hour each time and she still goes back to the nestbox...

I gave up....lol...I've had 5 broody hens since Spring the most ever for me....

I guess it's like leading a horse to water... Oh well, she may be missing all the green grass but she does look happy! Silly little chicken
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom