a broody doesn't get up

chickengr

Crossing the Road
9 Years
Dec 29, 2014
greece
my broody pullet (about8-9 mo) has been sitting on 7 eggs for about a week. she got up twice only, after 15 hours of sitting and then after 3 days. she is closed in a separate place, has food and water (she eats very little, I think without getting up from the nest, it is next to her). she pooped when she was out only. I took her out of the nest but she didn't want to walk. she has room to stretch and poop if she wants without getting out of the coop. should I leave her alone or insist that she gets out?

Move the food to the farthest point of her pen, water too, and leave her be. They don't eat as much when they are broody because their activity is down, their systems are running on "low" and the more they eat the more they would have to leave the nest to evacuate their body.

my broody pullet (about8-9 mo) has been sitting on 7 eggs for about a week. she got up twice only, after 15 hours of sitting and then after 3 days. she is closed in a separate place, has food and water (she eats very little, I think without getting up from the nest, it is next to her). she pooped when she was out only. I took her out of the nest but she didn't want to walk. she has room to stretch and poop if she wants without getting out of the coop. should I leave her alone or insist that she gets out?

Leave her alone but check her. She will do what needs to be done. Eating less is normal and if she pooped she is eating. Most likely she is leaving the nest to eat and poop when your not looking.

thank you.

she didn't poop after last time she was out (3 days ago). the coop has clean sawdust so I can see if she does.

Back
Top Bottom