A bunch of Cocci/Corid questions

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
My chicks are roughly 3 weeks old & are on their first 24 hours of Corid for cocci symptoms.

1. When should I see an improvement in poo(there were 2 slightly bloody pops this morning, one yesterday but the rest have been normal). No other symptoms have been observed.

2. After day 7 do I stop treatment completely Or wean to a lower dose for a few more days? I am planning to follow up with electrolytes in the water once treatment is stopped.

3. I am feeding chick starter/grower, and giving a wet mash at night. Should I use the medicated water in that mash or regular water? I usually hand feed the mash, is the medicated water safe to touch? (Obviously I wash well after handling the chicks.)

4. is there anything else I should give them for strength? Grit? Scrambled eggs? Greek yogurt?

5. When will they be “not contagious”? My aunt is brooding a second group of chicks that will be living in the coop with this group. We were planning to move both groups in together in two weeks...is this not possible now?

Thank you for your time & advice. Sorry for all the questions. You guys are better than any reference book!

Last edited:
There are a few questions I can't answer but;

I have gotten the corid water on my hands before, from spills, I don't believe there is any harm that comes from it. I'd just be sure to wash your hands after.

You can definitely give them scrambled eggs & / or yogurt. I would recommend it. I don't see a need for grit, but I'd wait to hear others opinions before ruling it out.

As for the rest of your questions, I have answers but I don't know that they are 100% correct so I'll just leave it to the experts.

If they are still having bloody stool by the end of treatment you may need to treat with a sulfa drug. Some strains of cocci can't be resolved with corid alone.

Also, you can give them buttermilk rice to help prevent further damage from cocci.

Thank you both. Fingers crossed the Corid works. @katelwil have you ordered from that website (just checking that it’s legit as I almost got scammed earlier this year).

Would love answers to the rest of my questions, thanks everyone!

If you’re using liquid Corid in the water, you should treat for four days. If you’re using the powder in the water, treat for five. Then after two weeks, treat them again for three days. The electrolytes should be offered after the treatments.

The wet mash can be made with plain or treated water. You can just use some of the water from their waterer and then make fresh Corid water the following morning. And yes, just wash your hands after feeding them. I’d be hesitant to offer too many scrambled eggs as you want them to get the balanced nutrition that the chick chow provides, but a little bit won’t hurt them. In regards to the grit, I’d offer it. Just put it in a small bowl or sprinkle it around. What’s your brooder set up like?

If you can wait to mix the flocks, I’d do so until after you finish the second treatment. I’d also suggest sending a fecal sample in to the lab or take some poop to your vet and ask them to do a fecal float test after you finish the second treatment. You can buy a kit from Amazon and send it in if your vet doesn’t do the test. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J5SOZ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once you get a clean test result, you can start mixing the flocks, otherwise, you risk having the other flock exposed to the oocytes.

Here’s some helpful info on coccidiosis: https://the-chicken-chick.com/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken/

Keep us posted on how the chicks do and post some pics if you can! 👍🏻👍🏻

If you’re using liquid Corid in the water, you should treat for four days. If you’re using the powder in the water, treat for five. Then after two weeks, treat them again for three days. The electrolytes should be offered after the treatments.

The wet mash can be made with plain or treated water. You can just use some of the water from their waterer and then make fresh Corid water the following morning. And yes, just wash your hands after feeding them. I’d be hesitant to offer too many scrambled eggs as you want them to get the balanced nutrition that the chick chow provides, but a little bit won’t hurt them. In regards to the grit, I’d offer it. Just put it in a small bowl or sprinkle it around. What’s your brooder set up like?

If you can wait to mix the flocks, I’d do so until after you finish the second treatment. I’d also suggest sending a fecal sample in to the lab or take some poop to your vet and ask them to do a fecal float test after you finish the second treatment. You can buy a kit from Amazon and send it in if your vet doesn’t do the test. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J5SOZ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once you get a clean test result, you can start mixing the flocks, otherwise, you risk having the other flock exposed to the oocytes.

Here’s some helpful info on coccidiosis: https://the-chicken-chick.com/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken/

Keep us posted on how the chicks do and post some pics if you can! 👍🏻👍🏻
Thank you for your advice! Here is my brooder, & a few pics of the girls. ❤️ I had them in deep litter before noticing the blood poo, and this morning cleaned everything out & switched to just a sprinkling of shavings on puppy pads to make it easy to clean & monitor. So far, everyone is acting ok, so will keep watching & monitoring.

Attachments

• 7BD15CDD-D735-4119-A058-228064F14D46.jpeg
    7BD15CDD-D735-4119-A058-228064F14D46.jpeg
    516.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 5AF66F00-F4AA-4B92-AF98-FEC6CE2AC4C0.jpeg
    5AF66F00-F4AA-4B92-AF98-FEC6CE2AC4C0.jpeg
    563.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 8FE38465-C59E-4A04-BD46-C2ECAE57012E.jpeg
    8FE38465-C59E-4A04-BD46-C2ECAE57012E.jpeg
    273.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 5AC9E1FB-E3CA-48E4-9D82-D8797A157C09.jpeg
    5AC9E1FB-E3CA-48E4-9D82-D8797A157C09.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 8
Everyone is up & about, eating & drinking like normal thank goodness. Found a few more reddish poos but most look normal. Do you guys think they’ll be ok? Topped them off with wet mash made of Corid water before turning lights out. When should the bloodiness disappear? It’s been a little more than 24 hours on Corid. Attached some pics of them ready for bed.

Attachments

• C00E575F-B7FA-4D1F-A214-BFA63975B92B.jpeg
    C00E575F-B7FA-4D1F-A214-BFA63975B92B.jpeg
    547.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 7CF4BB16-C59B-4034-B829-B7462E2E7DF5.jpeg
    7CF4BB16-C59B-4034-B829-B7462E2E7DF5.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom