May 29, 2019
Penny for your thoughts?

My 17 m/o EE is recovering from a few rough days: first, a thin-shelled egg broke inside her that she struggled to expel (but did after a few epsom salt soaks and calcium supplements), then her crop backed up, which led to an all-day stay at the local vet's office. She was x-rayed, and it was determined that she likely has a budding case of egg yolk peritonitis, for which she is on antibiotics. Her exam didn't turn up any swelling or palpable signs of peritonitis, however her x-ray showed a small "vague" spot, that--after circulating amongst a circle of avian vets who are colleagues--could indicate infection.

She's now been in a "hospital coop" in our basement for two days, during which time her crop issues are slowly improving, her poops have become solid and healthy looking (though small), and her energy levels are up (red comb/wattles, scratching around, preening). However, she seems very bored and depressed, and by extension, disinterested in food unless I'm there actively encouraging her/hanging out. She is one of our most social birds and I know she is sad to be separate from her flock. In fact, when I opened her carrier upon return from the vet, she immediately beelined for her sisters' coop before I could grab her to take her inside.

So, since she is not sick with anything transmissible, could it possibly be better for her mental/physical health to be outdoors with her sisters? The air quality is way better, and the sunshine is nice (though there is ample shade in our run). I asked the vet, and he agreed, aside from being watchful of bullying, that it could be good for her to be out there in a "monkey see, monkey do" sort of way, as for exercise and overall social benefit. My plan is to have her out for a good chunk of the day--taking her out in the late morning and putting her in early evening/late afternoon based on how she's doing. That way I can still monitor some of her intake and pooping.

Am I making a big mistake? Her case has been so touch-and-go that I often feel any decision could be the wrong one and lead her down a path of no return. I'm so anxious to do right by her--she is my most bonded hen!

As long as her flockmates don't pick on her and since she is not dealing with transmissable illness she would likely be better off in her flock.
I'm not very worried at this point about bullying. The second I dropped her down she immediately took to reinforcing her exact place in the pecking order by mounting the three hens below her and being submissive to the boss. The boss walked around her all boss-like, gave her a few nonchalant pecks that were dodged, and then lost interest. Last I checked her and the boss were napping next to each other.

It's nice to see her scratch around a bit and dust bathe, though I'm a bit nervous about her expending energy trying to *seem* healthy, and also that I won't know how much she's eating. But I do think it's for the best, for now at least. Thank you for your vote of confidence!

I'd put her out, even if it's in a separate area where she can still see the flock. It's better than totally isolated which is stressful for chickens. Just watch for flies.
We do have a separate run next to it that currently has two other chickens in it--we have been meaning to reintegrate them with the big flock (they're ready), so we could always use that as a backup. For now, since they are getting along, I think I'll let her hang with her sisters.

Yeah we have an adjacent run as a backup--it's in a shadier, cooler area which might be nice for her too (lots of cool sand to dust bathe in, which she loves!). Right now she is in the main run but seems happy and relaxed, so I won't mess with her.
I would put her back with the flock, but keep an eye on her.
If they pick on her, then an adjacent run might be better than total isolation indoors.

Back
Top Bottom