A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Is there a trick to pulling out the pin feathers along the breast of the Tom I butchered?

yep, 160 degree water for 15-20 seconds and it fall right out... Some of the pin sif he is dark colored you will always see them...
Those burn with a small propane torch then ignore. They are on the white birds you buy, you just don't see them..

yep, 160 degree water for 15-20 seconds and it fall right out... Some of the pin sif he is dark colored you will always see them...
Those burn with a small propane torch then ignore. They are on the white birds you buy, you just don't see them..
Thanks. I couldn’t get my water quite that hot. All I managed was about 130. Was have to use an igloo cooler as a bucket. The tom weighs around 24 or 25 pounds.

He wasn't sure about getting the harness on at first but I think he actually enjoyed this visit :)

Testing the harness... It fits!

IMG_2852.JPG
IMG_2854.JPG

Walking on a leash is a different experience!

IMG_2855.JPG

IMG_2867.JPG
IMG_2856.JPG
IMG_2858.JPG
IMG_2868.JPG
IMG_2872.JPG
IMG_2873.JPG
IMG_2875.JPG

He was very nervous and apprehensive at first but once everyone started to show up, he really relaxed. He loves the attention!

Thanks. I couldn’t get my water quite that hot. All I managed was about 130. Was have to use an igloo cooler as a bucket. The tom weighs around 24 or 25 pounds.

I have tried cooler water before and found if it is not 150, it just does not seem to do it. Those last 10-20 degrees make a huge difference.

He wasn't sure about getting the harness on at first but I think he actually enjoyed this visit :)

Testing the harness... It fits!

View attachment 1192705 View attachment 1192707

Walking on a leash is a different experience!

View attachment 1192712
View attachment 1192716 View attachment 1192713 View attachment 1192714View attachment 1192717 View attachment 1192719 View attachment 1192723 View attachment 1192724

He was very nervous and apprehensive at first but once everyone started to show up, he really relaxed. He loves the attention!

That is so cool, Kids love the animals people bring in. We brought in a turkey BBW to our kids school 35 years ago, and the all the kids loved it.... BUT the next week when our kids told their classes we had chopped thanksgivings head off,,,,,things were different....

Hey, R2/Ralphie, what's the real name for those things I call ink shafts?
I have tried cooler water before and found if it is not 150, it just does not seem to do it. Those last 10-20 degrees make a huge difference.
I've done OK at 145, but had to do a lot of agitation and longer scald. Since the USDA has determined that dish soap is an "Improper Additive" to scald water, I've been experimenting with other methods to get an effective scald. Last 10 I did, most of the feathers were off (DW wanted to save them) before it went into the plucker. Next batch I do, feet and head are coming off before plucker.

Back
Top Bottom