A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

@memphis
This Sweetgrass tom was hatched around June 6.
full

Last edited:
I looked up the varieties and agree with R2elk. Beautiful bird Fred!

I'm going with the general consensus and assuming my mottled is a hen. Her name will be Poppy. Iris & Poppy and of of course Daisy. For Halloween this year they are going as nuns!!

I'm going to pick up some white fabric today and see if I can make a turkey Nun costume lol. I already have black fabric :)

Question... who worms their turkeys, and with what?

I admittedly, do not worm as often as I should. When I do I use either Wazine or Ivermectin for dairy cattle.

Ivermectin is easy just a few drops around the vent and under the arms!!!

But it is not approved for birds. This is mainly because the process required to get approval is expensive and the number of people with birds who would use it is small, so there is no return on investment.

I would not use it on a bird I plan to eat. Which means here at the Ralphie Retirement Village for non-productive poultry almost every bird can have it.

I need to learn to not be such a softy and start killing some birds.....

I have two turkey poults that did not like freedom and moved back into the young chicks pen.....also Pocahontas moved into that pen too...so I have 2 turkeys and one 8 year old chicken hen living with my 8 week old birds...I assume they prefer the buffet meal program over having to fend for themselves outside free ranging...

I also have one 5 week old legbar living in the living room.. (long story)... he is spoiled rotten and expects to be catered to. He spends 20 minutes female dogging when we turn the lights down or off at night. The female dogging is a distinct sound from when he yells at us for not letting him out of the box to sit on our lap and watch TV..

In other news, I think Holm will be taking JJ Jr. The WW is retiring soon. I have been ordered to cut down my bird numbers. Junior is not a lapper but pretty close. I spent 10 minutes scratching his belly and petting him last night. He expects the attention. He follows me around the barn and is tolerant of my picking him up, even though it ticks him off. The blue to white change in his head is a giveaway to his true feelings...

Back
Top Bottom