A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Gluglu....I agree with Cindy. You are a hard worker! Fascinating! Thanks for giving us some insight. Turkey must me more popular in Europe than I thought. Probably due to my German heritage, I think goose before turkey. My grandma would roast a goose before a turkey. Do you manage all of this by yourself? Do you have help/employees? Raising & butchering 600 turkeys is a big business.
We have such a diverse bunch here....I'm always interested in how people manage their birds. We have some cool folks in our flock!!
And I've learned so much....everything from how to keep water thawed in a hole of poop to the design process involved in the latest turkey fashion. And I won't forget the play by play of operating on a turkey. And in my case....the willingness of someone driving four hours to hand off a few birds. I'm bringing this up because I was trying to explain to my non-turkey owning friends how supportive and helpful our gang is during dinner last night. Even our own terminology for different temperaments. They all still think I'm nuts....but I take solace knowing I'm in a flock of like kind!!

Would you believe that i`m doing almost all the job alone? I get some help when i start to butcher(but only to clean the feathers left from plucking), i`ll carve all the birds myself(i really enjoy to do that, i`m pretty fast). Sometimes i`m getting some help to clean the barns(but not every week), also i use to mill a lot of food for the birds(they will eat only cereal mixture).

16! AND snow! Its currently almost 60 here! Its 3 in the morning & can't sleep. Hate when that happens! Coonhound hound wants to go scout the backyard but won't dare to let him out at this time. Someone would call the cops if he went off! Trying to read myself back to sleep but the hound is intently staring at me. A bit unnerving. There are specific issues owning a big hound....but hes such a lovable goofball.

Welcome Phillyndilly! Better watch it....turkeys have a way of worming their way into your heart!! Questions are welcome here....we have lots of knowledgable folks willing to help.
Thank you! I’m so excited
That's hilarious! It's starting to did like miss Iris may need a wing clipped lol. She seems like quite the escape artist, even if she doesn't mean to do it lol

Welcome to our happy little group and to the wonderful world of turkeys! I usually name my palms like royalty. I have a Princess and a Duchess and I used to have a Queenie. Turkeys are such a joy to raise! Like big, feathered, loveable dogs. If you read through this entire thread (it would take a while) you're going to learn a lot! Memphis has spoiled city divas that live in a convent and originated as orphans on the street. Ralph created the turkey categories of lapper, lurkey, and belly button. He also hates dux. I have a big lovable Tom named Romeo that will happily wear a harness and go meet people. They dubbed me the Pennsylvania poult pusher and maker of all poultry "clothes" lol. There's so much more!

Haha that’s a good idea about royalty I get those vibes from them too. I love naming my pets old people names but the royal palms just seem like they need something fancy!

There’s the lady! We named her Belle (Annabelle) and Wilson loves her. As soon as she came home he spread all his feathers to show off for her and followed her around. Also I can’t get over that adorable noise the girls make like a water drop it’s sooooo cute!

Attachments

• B6DB8078-AA6A-4D4A-80E5-E674005661CC.jpeg
    B6DB8078-AA6A-4D4A-80E5-E674005661CC.jpeg
    550.5 KB · Views: 6
Thank you! I’m so excited

Haha that’s a good idea about royalty I get those vibes from them too. I love naming my pets old people names but the royal palms just seem like they need something fancy!

There’s the lady! We named her Belle (Annabelle) and Wilson loves her. As soon as she came home he spread all his feathers to show off for her and followed her around. Also I can’t get over that adorable noise the girls make like a water drop it’s sooooo cute!
She’s gorgeous! I love their little chortles, too. My Sweetgrass (courtesy of R2elk) are similar to yours, with a few more colors thrown in. They’re bigger now, but this is some of them 3-4 weeks ago:

68DE66D2-6A7D-4B58-80E8-09EB5DE7B3C1.jpeg

She’s gorgeous! I love their little chortles, too. My Sweetgrass (courtesy of R2elk) are similar to yours, with a few more colors thrown in. They’re bigger now, but this is some of them 3-4 weeks ago:

View attachment 1978163
Looking good. The second hen from the left in the top row is a definite keeper.

Back
Top Bottom