A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Thanks.

I will just have to make it work. I really want the chicken tutors help.

They will only get a small area at first to free range and not untill the turkeys are 10 weeks, weather permiting.

I have a call into the hatchery (privett) that is suppling our local feed store to make sure they are blackhead free.

I am so exited, I can hardly wait.

You are going to absolutely love your turkeys! I promise that :)

Mine were all out free ranging today.... in the rain. I don't think they cared. One managed to fall in the swimming pool. I guess she missed the edge when jumping up to relax on it. Thankfully, there's only about 4 inches of water in it lol. Of course, she's one of my not so tolerant girls so I couldn't check her out to make sure she was ok but she was WET. Then, a little later, I found some fresh blood on the ground. I panicked and went searching for the source. Looks like Sweet Pea managed to rip off a toe nail somehow. I'm not sure how she did it but she was bleeding pretty good for a while. She wouldn't let me get close enough to check it out though so it must've really hurt. Then, by the evening when I was ticking everyone in, I only had 4 turkeys on the roost. The other two girls crammed themselves in the next box with Pebbles. My nests are not big enough for 3 hens to cram into! They were quite the sight! I wish I had my camera on me at the time. Those were my adventures of the day.

Thanks.

I will just have to make it work. I really want the chicken tutors help.

They will only get a small area at first to free range and not untill the turkeys are 10 weeks, weather permiting.

I have a call into the hatchery (privett) that is suppling our local feed store to make sure they are blackhead free.

I am so exited, I can hardly wait.

The turkeys will be blackhead free, it does not spread that way.

All eggs that hatch will be blackhead free.

The chickens and earthworms are the problem.

Hi Ralph

I was referring to the chicken tutors needing to be blackhead free.

If I were to build nest boxes for the turkeys what size should they be?

When the turks are full grown can I use 2x6 layed flat for a roost, or is that too big?

You are going to absolutely love your turkeys! I promise that :)

Mine were all out free ranging today.... in the rain. I don't think they cared. One managed to fall in the swimming pool. I guess she missed the edge when jumping up to relax on it. Thankfully, there's only about 4 inches of water in it lol. Of course, she's one of my not so tolerant girls so I couldn't check her out to make sure she was ok but she was WET. Then, a little later, I found some fresh blood on the ground. I panicked and went searching for the source. Looks like Sweet Pea managed to rip off a toe nail somehow. I'm not sure how she did it but she was bleeding pretty good for a while. She wouldn't let me get close enough to check it out though so it must've really hurt. Then, by the evening when I was ticking everyone in, I only had 4 turkeys on the roost. The other two girls crammed themselves in the next box with Pebbles. My nests are not big enough for 3 hens to cram into! They were quite the sight! I wish I had my camera on me at the time. Those were my adventures of the day.

At least they use your boxes. Do your turkeys sit on eggs?

I use 2x4 and 4x4s for roosts. I would say 2x6 would work fine.

Turkey hens will set on eggs. I haven't had one yet that didn't go broody at some point.

At least they use your boxes. Do your turkeys sit on eggs?

Yes, they are good about that. For me anyway. I do have one hen that's been sitting now for at least a month but each of the eggs I've given her just hadn't worked out. I'm going to give her a couple chicks to raise next weekend when I have some hatch. I'm not ready to try to tertiary her with poults yet. She's still a first timer.

Hi Ralph

I was referring to the chicken tutors needing to be blackhead free.

If I were to build nest boxes for the turkeys what size should they be?

When the turks are full grown can I use 2x6 layed flat for a roost, or is that too big?

In reguards to nest boxes, I just have a 2 pieces of plywood leaning against the walls in the corners of the coop as nest boxes. Super simple and they seem to like them.

For a roost, I use a 2 x 6 laid flat on its side. It seems to be the perfect size for them though my big foot tom tends to fall off every now and then but it's always when he's trying to walk along it and strut at the same time lol.

lau.gif
Poor Adam....falling off his roost! Has that bird EVER quite strutting????

I went to check turkey eggs yesterday, no eggs and my fake ceramic egg was missing.... I looked every where for it, dug through the nest material, it was just gone.

Today I went to check eggs I got 4, and the fake eggs was still missing no one returned it! I put two more fakes in there. I hope they stay.

I moved the Creamettes into their own breeding pen today, so the big coop and run is able to handle the turkeys.

Only one egg in the new "coop" from the creamettes, as flighty as they are, I will probably have screwed up their hormones for a month..

We have an Alberta Clipper coming through here, it has turned windy bitter raw, while the temps are not that cold, I decided it was too chilly for me to be out anymore today.

I will be building Mr T's bordello tomorrow and have it ready to go by Sunday. I am then going to move Mr T's women into it so they get comfy.

Porter is having a personal grudge with Blackie. I have no idea what is going on between those two. I saw them fighting by the chicken coop. Blackie was upset his hackles were way out. They were trying to gouge each other. I broke them up, Blackie crowed he won, Porter strutted off like he won. Porter went back to the other Toms'. He was 100 yards for them. I have no idea why he would go to the coop to fight Blackie. Blackie could be to blame though, he is trying to prove he is the top rooster now that Ed has moved to his new quarters.

Did Adam get hurt falling off the roost? Did he act like he planned it the whole time and it was just a fancy dismount. Porter would have.

Last edited:
Yes, they are good about that. For me anyway. I do have one hen that's been sitting now for at least a month but each of the eggs I've given her just hadn't worked out. I'm going to give her a couple chicks to raise next weekend when I have some hatch. I'm not ready to try to tertiary her with poults yet. She's still a first timer.
In reguards to nest boxes, I just have a 2 pieces of plywood leaning against the walls in the corners of the coop as nest boxes. Super simple and they seem to like them.

For a roost, I use a 2 x 6 laid flat on its side. It seems to be the perfect size for them though my big foot tom tends to fall off every now and then but it's always when he's trying to walk along it and strut at the same time lol.

Thanks

So simple, and we have plywood already just laying around.

Back
Top Bottom