A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

It seems to be the popular thing to do around here...

Here is the still unnamed little cute fellow, I am not sure what he is, so play guess the turkey type.

I think he is a brown/chocolate/black of some kind. I hope he is a lapper and not a bellybutton.

Any clues on parentage? Could be a Rusty Slate, looks just like some Rusty Slates I hatched out earlier this year BbDdRr

JR, we developed a Turkey Temperament Scale ... here you go:

Lapper - A lap turkey. This turkey seeks out attention/affection. Enjoys physical contact.

Tolorant - A turkey that will allow you to handle him, but doesn't seek out phyical contact.

Lurky - A turkey who will hang out near you but is not fond of contact.

Bellybutton - A jerky turkey...

My two hens are Lappers. They will hop in my lap to get petted. Usually results in them falling asleep!

JR, we developed a Turkey Temperament Scale ...  here you go:

Lapper - A lap turkey.  This turkey seeks out attention/affection.  Enjoys physical contact.

Tolorant - A turkey that will allow you to handle him, but doesn't seek out phyical contact.

Lurky - A turkey who will hang out near you but is not fond  of contact.

Bellybutton - A jerky turkey...

My two hens are Lappers.  They will hop in my lap to get petted.  Usually results in them falling asleep!

In that case, I have mostly tolerant and lurky turkeys. None actually crawl in my lap unless there is food in it, in the case of the BBB or the bb white. The bb birds nearly knock me down hoping to get whatever I got, even though most times I'm empty handed, but they sure do squawk when I grab them up and give em a big hug. They never leave tho. Like fat dogs. I suppose they will be ready in a few months. When do you all process your broad breasted turkeys?

Last edited:
I haven't done any BB yet but I know I'm going to have to try it out once, just to see the difference. I love my heritage babies. Just got back in from their coop. They had another nest up in the loft :/ I managed to get it out of there and had to spend some time with Eve and Cuddles on my lap. Those two are so funny when they're both up on my lap. Eve wants so bad to peck cuddles since she's older and higher on the pecking order but I won't let her do it and distract her with love. Cuddles is constantly burying her head into my shirt to try to hide from Eve but she doesn't want to get down lol. They're getting used to having to share though. If I never need a pick-me-up, I just go in there and hold a couple turkeys lol.

In other poultry news, today us the first day for my youngest chicks in the coop to be out free ranging. I think they're 6-ish weeks old? 3 polish and a little legbar pullet. I got them from the feed store a few weeks ago (minus the legbar. She was a leftover pullet from my last legbar hatch). I have 2 blue silkies out for the first time officially today too. They escaped a few times on their own before but today they're allowed out. I just picked them up at the swap on Saturday and they're fitting right in :)

amazing how stress relieving a lapper (or two) can be on a bad day. Love my hen hugs!!

Ralph...any updates on the Porter eggs?

Back
Top Bottom