A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

MM..

BAD News..

I just candled a my eggs. I could not see a sign of life in any one of my turkey eggs....

I am hoping it is just too early to see anything....

Major depression could set in over this!

I marked the air sacs so I can see in a week if anything is happening...

My creamette eggs are al hatching as of today.

How long have your turkey eggs been cooking?

I have 70 turkey eggs set. Probably going to toss 6 tonight after recandling in the dark. None of these are from my turkeys, I have only one egg so far. The girls are still young. And one of my Narri girls won't put any weight on her leg. Nothing showing, but she's definitely hurting.

My beverage of choice tonight, like most, is a 32 oz mug of whiskey and Coke. I do brew a few fine brews but it's not beer weather in Michigan yet.

How long have your turkey eggs been cooking?

I have 70 turkey eggs set. Probably going to toss 6 tonight after recandling in the dark. None of these are from my turkeys, I have only one egg so far. The girls are still young. And one of my Narri girls won't put any weight on her leg. Nothing showing, but she's definitely hurting.

My beverage of choice tonight, like most, is a 32 oz mug of whiskey and Coke. I do brew a few fine brews but it's not beer weather in Michigan yet.

Whiskey and coke works,,,,

I put the eggs in on either Monday night late or early Tuesday morning.

Oh and Mikes Hard lemonade ain't just for summer anymore!

Here are a few 9 day candling pics. Usually I'd wait until the 10th day for the first cull.

Unmistakable blood ring in egg in vertical turner

Blood ring on egg that was incubated on its side

Clear at 9 days incubation. Either infertile or died before day 4.

Good veining, saddle shaped air cell.

I call these the "wait and see". There is a good shadow, but the veins can't be clearly seen. I'll recandle at 14 days.

Breakouts: the clear eggs looked just like your ordinary kitchen egg out of the fridge. Well defined yolk and white. Blood rings: grayish yellow, soupy and nasty. No stink yet.

Last edited:
Thanks..

I noticed the air sacs were not all round.

even in your pictures I have trouble seeing things. I must be old or blind, or both...

I ordered a tracker to put around Ethel's neck. I will find her nest!

The tracker should be here this weekend. I really wonder where she is hiding it.

The eggs I send to MM should do fine then, they only went 800-900 miles according to MapQuest. It was a 13 hours and 33 minutes to drive there, I think,.

I know I thought about making her drive it to get the eggs, it was so close.

I just heard on the news it is " national Beer day".........

NATIONAL BEER DAY?!

Guess what I will have to enjoy today?

I REEEEEEAAAAALLLLLYYYY hope it was just too soon to see anything, Ralph! That is why I am forcing myself to wait at least 10 days. I don't want my major depression to set in. Hubby will be going to the liquor store so often he will need a frequent flyer card.
Glad to hear your creamettes are developing! Keep it humid enough for them...

I never considered not needing to add water. Colorado is so very (edited to remove a questionable word) dry. Our average humidity is probably in the negatives. Well, I guess maybe not, but you get my point.

Clyde is a very confident little gal. Like the boy named Sue. I doubt her name affected her mothering... She sat on those decoy eggs like a champ! I really do think it was because they looked different.

Good luck finding Ethel's nest! I am sure your DW will be grateful that her iPhone isn't going to be missing.

So, I guess I will share a little about my birds, for those of you who don't know.
Turkeys- 5 in the incubator! Otherwise, none. Except for the wild ones a mile down the road I am considering luring to my property...
Chickens- 8. I would like to have many more, however my DH has not caught the poultry fever yet.
I also raise CX once or twice a year for meat... and maybe keep one.

WalnutHill- 70 Eggs?! Woah! What do you do with all your turkey babies?

Last edited:
I read "hatching 101" on here yesterday...

I know you think that is just like a man MM. When everything else fails read the instructions.

It says in there the humidity should be 20-30 % that is just what I have here without adding water.

I found by adding a small tall cylinder shaped pill bottle and keeping the cover off I can maintain 40-50 %.

I also cut up cardboard egg cartons to put the eggs in, inside the hatcher. When I went to remove it, it was soaking wet and limp. It had absorbed a lot of moisture. Next hatch date I am going to use a Styrofoam one. It should absorb less moisture.

I thought I would put the pill bottle in the hatcher when I put the eggs in to get the humidity base line higher. Thoughts?

I will get the tracker somewhere between Friday to Tuesday, I am hoping Ethel does not go broody before I can get her eggs,

Back
Top Bottom