A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

So, I have multiple nests set up in the turkey coop to prevent overcrowding. I go out to look for eggs and there are 3 hens crammed into one box. Pebbles was crammed WAY in the back with two Bourbon girls crammed in next to each other. Shocking, all 3 were competely in the area and not sticking out anywhere. They're going to end up knocking the board down on top of themselves! Maybe it's time to secure it with a couple screws lol.

Most of the poults are looking great and eating and drinking on their own. I had 3 today that were very iffy. One is back to looking normal and running around after I gave it some save a chick with vit E, selenium and scrambled eggs. The other 2 are looking rough. I put them back in the incubator to keep them from getting trampled (I have eggs in lockdown right now but they're in baskets) and I'm periodically giving them the same mixture and shoving scrambled eggs down their throats. Not a pretty thing but I'm trying my best to save them. This treatment worked for me in the past with a weak poult so I'm hoping these two aren't too far gone. Wish me luck!

So, I have multiple nests set up in the turkey coop to prevent overcrowding. I go out to look for eggs and there are 3 hens crammed into one box. Pebbles was crammed WAY in the back with two Bourbon girls crammed in next to each other. Shocking, all 3 were competely in the area and not sticking out anywhere. They're going to end up knocking the board down on top of themselves! Maybe it's time to secure it with a couple screws lol.

Most of the poults are looking great and eating and drinking on their own. I had 3 today that were very iffy. One is back to looking normal and running around after I gave it some save a chick with vit E, selenium and scrambled eggs. The other 2 are looking rough. I put them back in the incubator to keep them from getting trampled (I have eggs in lockdown right now but they're in baskets) and I'm periodically giving them the same mixture and shoving scrambled eggs down their throats. Not a pretty thing but I'm trying my best to save them. This treatment worked for me in the past with a weak poult so I'm hoping these two aren't too far gone. Wish me luck!

Good luck,,

Do you ever hard boil the eggs and just give them the yolk? I figure that is "mothers milk" for birds!

The hens will pick their own nests soon, I would think. They are just fighting for the best one now.

I never seem to get the "best" one right. When I make them I think this will be the one, and it never is....

Checked Porter's website. My mystery poult most closely resembles a slate sweetgrass. This shall be an interesting breeding year.
1f609.png

It shall!

Holm and I are headed to about 30 different birds colors!      Then JJ will have 27 of his own.   It should be fun.  I need a couple rusty slates this year. Along with some mottled.   I am also hoping to get a bourbon red hen!

My Dw thinks all the scribbling and printouts from the turkey calculator on the dining room table is junk! Silly woman!

I just toss mine all in together & see what pops outta the eggs later. Then I try to identify colors once they completely feather in. I like the rainbow.
1f60a.png

I just toss mine all in together & see what pops outta the eggs later. Then I try to identify colors once they completely feather in. I like the rainbow.
1f60a.png

I did that last year. This year I am trying to keep them in groups I want. Now that I have the HUGE incubator I want to know who is mother and father to which poult.

SS, post pics of the slate sweetgrass!! I wanna see it. Is it a tom? :D

Aurora, your story reminds me of Annie crawling into a nest box on top of my broody BA. Turkeys are hysterical ! Keep up posted on the babies.

Well....from the stories...Broody Turkey Hen Boxing may replace Cardinals baseball as my favorite sport. :/

I had the guineas and one anti-social chicken hen in the Guinea Gulag with the turkeys last spring. The one turkey was setting ( the nutso one) and I started seeing more eggs outside her feathers. I lifted her off at great personal risk, (with my DW's help)..

We found a ton of chicken eggs , guinea eggs and turkey eggs. No idea when they were laid or how long they had been there. It appears the other birds just sat on top of her and laid eggs and she refused to move.

We threw everything out and made her start over...Which could explain why she attacked us later..

SS, post pics of the slate sweetgrass!! I wanna see it. Is it a tom? :D

Aurora, your story reminds me of Annie crawling into a nest box on top of my broody BA. Turkeys are hysterical ! Keep up posted on the babies.

Well....from the stories...Broody Turkey Hen Boxing may replace Cardinals baseball as my favorite sport. :/

I'm hoping little Moose Tracks is a hen. The kids named this batch of poults after icecream & candy bars.

I had the guineas and one anti-social chicken hen in the Guinea Gulag with the turkeys last spring. The one turkey was setting ( the nutso one)  and I started seeing more eggs outside her feathers.    I lifted her off at great personal risk, (with my DW's help)..

We found a ton of chicken eggs , guinea eggs and turkey eggs. No idea when they were laid or how long they had been there. It appears the other birds just sat on top of her and laid eggs and she refused to move.

We threw everything out and made her start over...Which could explain why she attacked us later..

Any time you have hens of any kind in with a broody daily nest checks are mandatory.

I'm hoping little Moose Tracks is a hen. The kids named this batch of poults after icecream & candy bars.
Any time you have hens of any kind in with a broody daily nest checks are mandatory.

I kind of learned that the hard way.. I will be using Sharpies on the eggs that are to hatch. Hopefully the hens will not attack me too badly.

Good luck,,

Do you ever hard boil the eggs and just give them the yolk?     I figure that is "mothers milk" for birds!

The hens will pick their own nests soon, I would think.   They are just fighting for the best one now.

I never seem to get the "best" one right. When I make them I think this will be the one, and it never is....

Actually last time I checked chickens have teets and give milk
1f609.png
!!

This is balogna!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom