A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I'm trying to find something with lots of protein to feed my turkeys. They have broken feathers.. I have fed them wild game, but didn't buy any more when I thought I was getting rid of them, but I guess I should get some more.. Any suggestions? What is BOSS?

Ralph - Congrats on the early babies - Need pictures! :)

Coffee - Good to hear from you....so exciting that your new place is closing soon! You are going to have so much fun with the birds. Don't worry, turkeys aren't shy about letting you know what they think and they'll be providing you with lots of direction about what they want :p

Ron - Aw, your new white hen sounds sweet and it's wonderful that she's laying eggs. I'd be really curious to see the poults - I bet they'll be cute :love

Well I've been pleasantly surprised how smoothly combining my birds went on Sunday. When I added Coco in with the hens, I figured that it would be a good time to add the two rescue birds (from a while ago) to the main group as well. Coco and Big Bird decided that they were best buds right away and have been chumming around cheerfully barking at each other :). The chickens had some minor jostling for positions but nothing like I was expecting. I hope that they maintain the current peaceful vibes :rolleyes:

The toms have been pretty chill without the ladies in their vicinity - the gobbling drives DH crazy, but they don't squabble much lol. The boys gobble at every vehicle that they hear - I think it's hilarious, but DH really doesn't see the humor in it. They make much better watch dogs than our elderly bulldogs....

I found another possible home for one of the boys, and this one looks like it could be cool if it works out. We have a local county park, which is a homestead, and they have farm critters of all sorts living there with acres of space. They lost their old tom turkey last year, and one of the bourbon boys could be his replacement. Any of the boys would love being in a farm with lots of people to admire all of his handsomeness while he struts around and socializes. We'll see what happens with this one....

Feisty, Here are my pictures I just took. I am a bad hatcher. I do not subscribe to the lockdown we read here. I open the hatcher as need be. I hatch in the LG foam incubator. I hade 27 eggs in it. I need to remove chicks occasionally or it gets over crowded in there. I put them into a Farm Innovator incubator when they are dried off enough.

When I get to the 103 egg hatch, I will use all three incubators as hatchers and have a MHP set up for the overflow birds...

The bottom pictures are the Speckled Sussex and the first one is the white sport, I think I see a spot on it's head meaning I have a breeding pair of white sports in 6 months!

Feisty, Here are my pictures I just took. I am a bad hatcher. I do not subscribe to the lockdown we read here. I open the hatcher as need be. I hatch in the LG foam incubator. I hade 27 eggs in it. I need to remove chicks occasionally or it gets over crowded in there. I put them into a Farm Innovator incubator when they are dried off enough. When I get to the 103 egg hatch, I will use all three incubators as hatchers and have a MHP set up for the overflow birds... The bottom pictures are the Speckled Sussex and the first one is the white sport, I think I see a spot on it's head meaning I have a breeding pair of white sports in 6 months!
I gave up on my foam incubator, but I might use it for at least the first week or two after hatch..

Feisty...sounds like things are going well! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for one of the Bourbon Boys. What a cool home that would be!

Ralph....love me some baby Speckled Sussex!! They are still my favorite breed!

Back
Top Bottom