A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

13 pips and no hatchlings.
barnie.gif

I have 2 of them and I like them a lot.  For the most part, I plug them in and don't worry much about them.  But the other day was really humid and warm.  Temps spiked in both and humidity in one.  I plugged in a small fan and had it blow past, not on, and everything went back to normal.  I like that they are plastic and not styrofoam.  Much easier to clean, although I don't hatch in them.  I have a styrofoam one I use for hatching.  It's a pain in the rear.  They only hold 27 chicken eggs or 22 turkey eggs, but I'm ok with that.

I have a Styrofoam one I hate. It kills my poor babies with its spikes and unreliable gauges. I have to ask, why do you use the Styrofoam one for hatching? It seems with the plastic, it would be easy to see the progress.
I was seriously considering getting a sportsman, but I may be talking myself out of it this year. I just picked up 3 poults today and that sets me at about 50 chicks. Maybe later. The maker of this on has one about the size of a sportsman but no reviews.
It's hard to believe plug and go after having the Styrofoam issue. After I bought the incubator, fan and turner I could have had this one for $175.

I think if the poult hatches under her it would be different than trying to  graft a chick on her.  I know I have had the same problem and have slipped eggs under and it works, (sometimes) even when they peck at chicks.

Yes but remember last time she was broody, she willing accepted the chicks I gave her and looked for more and even crawled into the brooder to adopt the many chicks in it lol. This time she seems to want nothing to do with any of them but keeps her butt parked on the nest.

I have a Styrofoam one I hate. It kills my poor babies with its spikes and unreliable gauges. I have to ask, why do you use the Styrofoam one for hatching? It seems with the plastic, it would be easy to see the progress.
I was seriously considering getting a sportsman, but I may be talking myself out of it this year. I just picked up 3 poults today and that sets me at about 50 chicks. Maybe later. The maker of this on has one about the size of a sportsman but no reviews.
It's hard to believe plug and go after having the Styrofoam issue. After I bought the incubator, fan and turner I could have had this one for $175.
I do a lot of staggered hatches so I needed a hatcher. Someday I'll get something better, but for now, this is it. One of my main issues with the styrofoam hatcher is, it won't hold anything in the 98 degree range. Last year it wouldn't even register 98. It did 97 or 99 and would skip 98. Not sure how that even happens. This year it does hit 98.1 - 98.9 but won't hold.

Edit to add a . because I think 981 degrees might cause a few problems.

But! I have 4 poults and 1 chick out this morning!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom