A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

R2elk...they are just darling! Chick's are cute...but a turkey poult with those big eyes & feet just can't be beat! Thanks...needed that!

So, was drinking a beer on the deck with a neighbor. Daisy on her lap, Annie on mine. Several more folks wandered down. Each one would pick a turkey off a lap & sit with it awhile until someone else would take it. I think the girls are becoming the neighborhood stress relievers. I think those goofy birds love the attention. :rolleyes:

R2Elk - those are some very cute babies! Needed that today after cleaning the barn.

Memphis - I think your girls are becoming the neighborhood mascots. Sounds like they love the attention :lol: When they get party invites and people stopping in to visit them - they are becoming local attractions!

You get a gold star for cleaning the barn Fiesty! I kept meaning to clean coops, but somehow just didn't get around to it. Other than the party, I was a bum!

Folks have always gathered in the back. With the shade & all the plants it's just cooler. And nice in the evenings. Everyone has fallen for the turkeys. And boy do the girls eat up the attention.

Gevshiba....beautiful girls & babies! Great pictures. Sweet momas!! Thanks!!

I came out the back door and way in the back of the yard was a pile of white & red feathers...not moving. I went screaming down there. ...only to realize Annie was sun bathing. She was laying on her side with her wings all spread out & her feet stretched out. Geez she scared me!!

My old mare (gone several years now) did that to me once. I was calling her name (also Annie) the whole way and she finally twitched an ear when I was about 3 feet away.

R2elk, You can bet your last buck I would never laugh if the turkey beat the snot out of you.....well, laugh too much.....
lau.gif

Turkeys are real hams for attention. I think JJ knows how to get attention from people. People drive in the yard and he has to come and see who is here. When I hold him he gobbles. No self respecting Tom should gobble while being held..

And the way he carried on with the Lady Vet was disgusting...

Somedays I think I am too old for all this work and I should get rid of everything except JJ and Ethel, They would have to stay until the day they pass on. I would just miss them too much.

R2elk, You can bet your last buck I would never laugh if the turkey beat the snot out of you.....well, laugh too much.....
lau.gif

Turkeys are real hams for attention. I think JJ knows how to get attention from people. People drive in the yard and he has to come and see who is here. When I hold him he gobbles. No self respecting Tom should gobble while being held..

And the way he carried on with the Lady Vet was disgusting...
love.gif

Somedays I think I am too old for all this work and I should get rid of everything except JJ and Ethel, They would have to stay until the day they pass on. I would just miss them too much.

Yeah right. I normally attempt to maneuver the hens so they are at my back. I really don't mind getting a flogging on my back. Its the closest thing to a massage that I can get.
old.gif

On a different note I had a terrible visitor yesterday. I don't know where they are coming from or what is causing it but I watched a prairie dog come through my irrigated area and make it through to the lower field. By the time I got a gun it was out of sight. Today when I stepped out of the door, there was another prairie dog in my driveway. It went down the fence line so I grabbed a gun and went looking for it. Fortunately for me I found it after it got through my fence and cornered it as it was trying to get in my garden. It is now a good prairie dog and is becoming nutrients in the garden.

Last edited:
So a good prairie dog has a lot in common with a good skunk, raccoon, weasel and so on........
lau.gif

Last year I could not get a broody bird this time of year. This year I cannot stop having broodies! arrrrgh
barnie.gif

Ethel has either eggs or babies under her. when I went in the coop I last night I was going to look, but as not all my bruises from the last hens have healed, I decided, I did not care what was under her. She gave me the evil eye when I looked at her and I relented.

I took three eggs away from the trio around 26 days ago, that were not marked with red. and put them right into the incubator, I have two poults from them. One cute one and one mean little belly button that looks and acts just like Penguin did. He is so mean! He was picking the other ones eyes in the incubator so I put them in with some chicks so he would not dare peck eyes for fear of retaliation.

See, now that's making the most of a situation. ...turkey hen back massages! Too funny R2elk! :gig. I learned about prairie dogs while working on the new Denver Airport. They were all over the old airport, Stapleton. The joke was we were going to send the crew bus back for them. I had no experience with them, but was quickly informed how nasty they are. Sure hope they become good prairie dogs fast.

Ralph, JJ & Ethel are a couple of characters! I love the JJ stories. Mine have a way of inserting themselves into the middle of anything going on around here. I know I've spoiled them, but they are such sweeties....it's hard not too. Oh well....it's just the two of them, and they really are good girls...why not.....:rolleyes:

Finally! Another Penguin!! Yipee! And Ralphie, you let Ethel rule her nest!! She's a good moma!

So a good prairie dog has a lot in common with a good skunk, raccoon, weasel and so on........
lau.gif

Last year I could not get a broody bird this time of year. This year I cannot stop having broodies! arrrrgh
barnie.gif

Ethel has either eggs or babies under her. when I went in the coop I last night I was going to look, but as not all my bruises from the last hens have healed, I decided, I did not care what was under her. She gave me the evil eye when I looked at her and I relented.

I took three eggs away from the trio around 26 days ago, that were not marked with red. and put them right into the incubator, I have two poults from them. One cute one and one mean little belly button that looks and acts just like Penguin did. He is so mean! He was picking the other ones eyes in the incubator so I put them in with some chicks so he would not dare peck eyes for fear of retaliation.
Normally when one of my broodies has poults they start talking to the poults when I approach. Before they have poults they just sit there quietly or else hiss at me.

You are correct about the definition of a "good" prairie dog. I really hate making "good" skunks since they do a better job controlling the vole population than anything else does but they are such egg thieves and really love newly hatched poultry. They also love chicken feed. I started making "good" skunks when they started stealing turkey eggs right out from under setting hens.

I have a neighbor that refuses to keep his dog home. As much as I dislike making a good dog, I will be making him a good dog next time he shows up here, unless he can out run a 12ga or 17mm.

I figure with the post hole digger pre-attached to the bobcat he can go from wandering dog, to good dog, to what dog? In about 3 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom