A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

My turn to play what do you think they will do?

I thought I asked this before, maybe I did not... R2Elk please throw in an answer!!1

I have Ethel Jr and one other turkey hen in small pens, Ethel Jr has not went back into broodiness since I broke her a few weeks back. I would have thought by now she would she had about 2 dozen eggs in her "cabin" nest. The other hen has about the same amount. They are so upset being locked in the pens I wonder if they will ever set. If I open the doors do you think they will keep laying in their current nest until they go broody?

If they did I could lock them in then for their safety?

It is getting late but Ethel has hatched poults in Sept. so I am not sure what I should do....

Any suggestion is welcomed. I am trying to not let them have wild nests this year. I find myself low on turkeys after giving so many to Coffee. I had poor hatch rates and sold all I hatched. Hopefully I will get more hens from my Porter eggs that went in the incubator today. I also have a hatch on the 19th coming.

Gevshiba...mine have also only been the traditional chipmunk color. And they are "chatty". Personally I think they are just gossips. But they aren't loud.

Finnie....hopefully she'll start using the space under the coop. I lock Daisy in her run when she has to lay. She has "PES"....Pre-Egg-Syndrome. She gets goofy & will try to leave the yard...then sometimes she goes straight to her nest.

Also, I took some poult shots the other day, and haven't had a chance until now to post them.

Snowflake and Cornbread

Cornflake is the oldest, and definitely the leader. Cupcake is in the back. My husband wants to eat Cupcake for Thanksgiving. He said I should keep the next narri poult that hatches and name that one Cupcake instead. He has renamed this one "Carl's Diner".
sad.png
That plan will depend on another poult hatching. So far, these are the only ones that have made it out of their eggs. I have one right now that is 24 hours past due. It was less developed than it should have been at day 18, but I saw movement. So I am hoping it will just be a little on the late side.
fl.gif

Meeting Daddy through the wire. Coconut spends all day trying to impress them.

Finnie...buy Carl a Butterball. I doubt they will be big enough to eat at Thanksgiving. ..or at least that's what I tell him! ;)

Ralph I WOULD NOT trust that those girls will use those nests. Daisy always seems to think there is a better nest spot on the other side of a 6 foot fence.

I wonder if the year can have anything to do with it, when I candled the other day I was disappointed in what I saw, thinking I should see more development than I did and my turkey hatch rates have been in the cellar.

I wonder if the hens protein intake has something to do with it. I buy a 28% Game bird breeder flock feed for them, it is crumbles. They do not like it. they eat the chickens layer feed instead, it is a mash. I cannot find a Game bird breeder mash around here. I think I will talk to the mill the next time I am there.

Finnie...buy Carl a Butterball. I doubt they will be big enough to eat at Thanksgiving. ..or at least that's what I tell him!
wink.png

Ralph I WOULD NOT trust that those girls will use those nests. Daisy always seems to think there is a better nest spot on the other side of a 6 foot fence.

I agree on the first part... But I love the name Carl's dinner!

I am going to hope r2elk says you're wrong on the second........stubborn hens!

Finnie, I don't know how old heritage turkeys are when they are "invited" to dinner. I know they mature a lot slower than the BB.

Ralph...my girls are on 18% is that too low? But consider this....if the hens mash is a different manufacturer maybe they just like the taste better. I would hate for you to let them loose only for them to make a break for the woods. Can you let them out for a few hours under observation? I remember you saying Ethel Jr was trying to make a break for it....

Gevshiba: snakes are bad this year. I have dispatched several.

Finnie: your poults are cute impressing daddy. Foe your hen that lays under the pen I would let her build up that nest with eggs and see if she sets. They won't miss one or 2 eggs added or taken away just don't move them all. But each hen has a magic number in their mind before they set.

Ralphie: not sure about hens laying back in pen. If i open the gates for my hens that are laying they head for pasture or fencerow. Like the open sky I guess. I'm on the other side of the coin I have hens I can't get to not being broody. I put 4 guinea eggs that should hatch tomorrow under her to hope she breaks. She's looking terrible.

Memphis: it's hot in. Mo. So expect terrible heat if you make it st. Genevieve. Glad your girls like the pool.

Last year I couldn't get a royal palm to hatch and survive. But had excellent hatches of bourbon reds. This year is the opposite. Wanted to expand bourbon flock. Think I'm down to 8 poults. Have 8 palms I saved back but have hatched close to 60 palms. Have only hatched 20 bourbons.

All late deaths in incubation or live a week or so and die. Had a 2 week old fine last night dead this morning showed no signs of being ill.

Back
Top Bottom