A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Went to lock up birds for eve. Saw one broody had a new little baby. It was one I placed eggs under.

My rough looking broody that has been setting forever I placed 2 pipped guinea eggs under tonight. I hope they hatch so she will break broody. She hatched 1 lone poult earlier but left it and started setting again.

I like my turkeys broodiness but they went early in the season. But the ones that are left are stubborn.

Gevshiba: sending you the best on your broodies having good hatches. And being good moms.

Good luck

Lizzie has started setting on her eggs tonight. I went to lock her in the coop and she was gone. I got worried for a few seconds, but I checked the hollow tree and she was there. Tomorrow I will be erecting a fence/cage around the tree... This tree...
Looks like a good spot to stay hidden. If i had a tree like that it would be a coon or bee magnet. Sending you and Lizzie good vibes on a successful hatch.

Well...nothing broody here.

Ralph, I'm getting a kick out of Lizzie and her tree! Pictures are a must!

Looks like a good spot to stay hidden.

If i had a tree like that it would be a coon or bee magnet.

Sending you and Lizzie good vibes on a successful hatch.

That is my worry with her inside that tree.

She must think she is a wood duck.

I have a feeling she will make a good Mommy, but you never know for sure. I know I am going to miss holding her for the next month.

Well...nothing broody here.

Ralph, I'm getting a kick out of Lizzie and her tree! Pictures are a must!

I hope it works out, I really do not care about the eggs, BUT I do not want to lose Lizzie...She has become my favorite chicken. I was forced to hold Andy tonight.

I wonder if the year can have anything to do with it, when I candled the other day I was disappointed in what I saw, thinking I should see more development than I did and my turkey hatch rates have been in the cellar.

I wonder if the hens protein intake has something to do with it.  I buy a 28% Game bird breeder flock feed for them, it is crumbles.  They do not like it. they eat the chickens layer feed instead, it is a mash. I cannot find a  Game bird breeder mash around here.  I think I will talk to the mill the next time I am there.

I also buy 50 lb bags 28% game bird feed and they can't stand the crumbles but I also buy 100 lb bags of 18% grower feed from my local mill. I mix the two together and everyone eats it all. It must mix just right and comes out to just over 21% protien.

So this is becoming a bad habit that I really need to break. Once again, I'm late going in to lockdown. It's been such s busy week and they're due tomorrow and once again, I open the 1202 to find a poult wandering around on the bottom. I think this is the 3rd time I've done this and I can't even count how many times I've had pipped eggs moving to the hatcher lol

I also buy 50 lb bags 28% game bird feed and they can't stand the crumbles but I also buy 100 lb bags of 18% grower feed from my local mill. I mix the two together and everyone eats it all. It must mix just right and comes out to just over 21% protien.

So this is becoming a bad habit that I really need to break. Once again, I'm late going in to lockdown. It's been such s busy week and they're due tomorrow and once again, I open the 1202 to find a poult wandering around on the bottom. I think this is the 3rd time I've done this and I can't even count how many times I've had pipped eggs moving to the hatcher lol

nananaanaaa I went into lock down today!! the hatch should be on the 12th!!! I am on time, now if I just have all the eggs marked right. ( I hate when I think Bertha's egg is a turkey egg.)

Well Big Bird seems to be able to eat okay despite the underbite - had her out to run for awhile and she was able to pick weeds and grass. I still think she looks funny with her underbite :rolleyes:

So gamebirds starter is what there is for turkey poults here, do the heritage breeds need as high protein as the bb varieties? If the other 3 poults make it this weekend, I will finish my staggered hatch and have 4 chicks and 4 poults together. Can I feed them chick starter or do the turkeys need the higher protein even when they are burbon red and royal palm? The pushy guide chicks are certainly getting the poult that is out to eat and drink regular. And the poult LOVES the mama brooder heat pad. It is way too hot to set up a heat lamp, so at least this way it doesn't cook them. And less chance of fire.

When I chicks and poults together I feed them all 28% game bird starter the chicks do fine with it.yes the Heritage breeds need the higher protein.

Back
Top Bottom