A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Sibling Rivalry.
This Blue Slate hen raised these three Sweetgrass turkeys along with three Bourbon Red turkeys and two Cream Legbar roosters and one Cream Legbar pullet together. The rooster did start the ruckus. Fortunately he was smart enough to go hide before they actually caught him.

Aurora...I agree...what up with the Palms? Ralphie, great video! Loved all the turkey chatter!!

R2elk...yet again your skills as a photog amaze me. What gorgeous shots! And what a cacophony of colors between the rooster & sweetgrass!! And that one blue hen raised all those birds! What a girl!

I need a sweetgrass, or a mottled, or a narri....oh heck...maybe one of each!

Yeah...those sweetgrass are beautiful. I keep going back & looking at R2elks pics. Those hens look like they were about to take out the rooster! Their mom doesnt look too concerned.

Yeah...those sweetgrass are beautiful. I keep going back & looking at R2elks pics. Those hens look like they were about to take out the rooster! Their mom doesn't look too concerned.

It was a family squabble and she said settle it yourselves. Unfortunately, I suspect that all 3 of them are toms. I am holding out hope that the smallest is a hen but I have never seen hens get that red at that age. They are just about two months old and the rooster is around 3 months old.

Thanks for the compliments.

Ok...thought the sweetgrass were all the same age. That rooster is beautiful by the way.
Did you enter something for the calendar?

Will you be breeding the sweetgrass to your slates??

Ok...thought the sweetgrass were all the same age. That rooster is beautiful by the way.
Did you enter something for the calendar?

Will you be breeding the sweetgrass to your slates??

Nope. There is only a chicken calendar this year and I do not like the requirements for submissions.

The Sweetgrass are all the same age which is only about 2 months old. I got the eggs in June which means they hatched in July meaning they will be 2 months old sometime this month.

I do not plan on breeding a Sweetgrass tom to my Blue Slate hens. If it turns out that the smallest one is a hen, I will breed her to a Self Blue tom. If not, oh well.

I am saddened to report Ethel is most likely no more.

We are holding out a slim hope she is on a stolen nest somewhere, the odds of this are near zero.

We will miss her.

My wife wants us to pick out a couple poults to train into lappers, she is pretty broken up over Ethel's demise.

I am very sorry to hear that. I know Esther was wanting some mini Ethels. She's so in love with turkeys, she wants one of every color. She thought Ethel had a very beautiful color.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom