A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

I have been wondering why this thread has been so quiet! It looks like I accidentally unsubscribed from it! Oops :rolleyes:

Holm....Ill be back in Grand Forks again toward the end of the month....just saying in case Ralphie decides to pass on Mr. T. :D. I'll just bring a dog crate & he can fly home with me. Hed like Memphis....much warmer in the winter. And the girls are super cute!! ;)

I'll get them posted! Grand forks is only an hour away! It's to bad we couldn't meet up when you're here! Maybe give you a tour of the farm lol!

Holm - glad to have you back! Get on those Mr T pics....we've been waiting :)

I'm heading to WI for a few days for work..... My first check was the weather to make sure it's not planning to snow while I'm there :D. Apparently it's going to be pretty nice, so I'm looking forward to it. I have to get DH up to speed on care and feeding of everyone....pretty sure that he hasn't done it since last winter - yikes. It will be good practice for him lol.

Hi guys! Been a while since I posted. I have this jake, Cornbread, which is supposed to be sexable genetically, as a male sweetgrass. (Royal Palm father and Sweetgrass mother, so since he didn't turn out to be a Royal Palm, then he can't be a girl. Or even if his mom wasn't really a sweetgrass, then all daughters would at least still be Narragansett. Did I lose anybody?)

He is definitely not a Narragansett, so he has got to be a boy.

I keep telling myself that.

But he is way smaller than his half-brother (from a different mother) that hatched the same day. And he never struts. Which I put down to him being a subordinate male. (What with the father and the brother displaying at each other all day long, this one just doesn't want to get involved, I assume.) On one hand, he also still has a stripe of feathers up the back of his neck, but on the other hand, he has a lot of caruncles. I'm just wondering if I'm fooling myself that he's a male. I can't remember hearing him gobble, but maybe a subordinate wouldn't gobble either?

I think the only way it's possible for him to be female, is if there is some kind of genetics going on that mixes with the narri and palm genes and makes a different color turkey. (Honestly, to me he doesn't look Sweetgrass, but the only one I've ever had for comparing was his mother, Poppyseed, rip, and he doesn't look anything like her.) And I've tried looking up other turkey colors, but nothing really looks like him.

He is 23 weeks old in these pictures (about 5 months old):

And here are the father and half-brother, with him way back of them, to give you an idea of what he has to compete with all day:

(Btw, the half-brother is a Narragansett- he has a narri mom.)

What do you all think? Sweetgrass male? Something else?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom