A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Hi guys! Been a while since I posted. I have this jake, Cornbread, which is supposed to be sexable genetically, as a male sweetgrass. (Royal Palm father and Sweetgrass mother, so since he didn't turn out to be a Royal Palm, then he can't be a girl. Or even if his mom wasn't really a sweetgrass, then all daughters would at least still be Narragansett. Did I lose anybody?) He is definitely not a Narragansett, so he has got to be a boy. I keep telling myself that. But he is way smaller than his half-brother (from a different mother) that hatched the same day. And he never struts. Which I put down to him being a subordinate male. (What with the father and the brother displaying at each other all day long, this one just doesn't want to get involved, I assume.) On one hand, he also still has a stripe of feathers up the back of his neck, but on the other hand, he has a lot of caruncles. I'm just wondering if I'm fooling myself that he's a male. I can't remember hearing him gobble, but maybe a subordinate wouldn't gobble either? I think the only way it's possible for him to be female, is if there is some kind of genetics going on that mixes with the narri and palm genes and makes a different color turkey. (Honestly, to me he doesn't look Sweetgrass, but the only one I've ever had for comparing was his mother, Poppyseed, rip, and he doesn't look anything like her.) And I've tried looking up other turkey colors, but nothing really looks like him. He is 23 weeks old in these pictures (about 5 months old): And here are the father and half-brother, with him way back of them, to give you an idea of what he has to compete with all day: (Btw, the half-brother is a Narragansett- he has a narri mom.) What do you all think? Sweetgrass male? Something else? Thanks
Idk what it is but it's beautiful!!!! And I would put money on it being a female. You would have heard it attempt to gobble and it would be strutting by now.

Aw rats. That's what I've been afraid of. I've been planning to keep him as my only male, because of his Sweetgrass genetics.

There must be other genes at play here. To be female, "she" would 100% have to be a Narragansett. But what else could be added to make her look like she does? "She" has no barring on her primary flights.

Ok, so I just spent an hour looking at Porter's color variety page and playing with their calculator. IF the mother, my supposed Sweetgrass, was slightly off in her genetics, then I could get females that are black winged Narragansett. That would account for the no barring on the primaries. So that's one possibility.

Cornbread does kind of resemble some of the photos that have pencilling. So IF, and this would be a big if, both parents were carrying the pencilling gene, then she could be a pencilled palm, or a pencilled black wing Narragansett. She doesn't really look like a pencilled palm though, and there were no photos for pencilled black winged narris.

I wish I could find photos of the mother as an adult.

Finnie...did you have both parents? I'm thinking her mom was not 100% sweetgrass. Could she have been a calico? Either way, Cornbread is a heauty!

I'm so annoyed with Annie! She's still sitting on air. She has completely ruined her new tail feathers. They are all ragged on the ends. Looks like she stuck her beak in a light socket. I've been tossing her off the nest. But as soon as i put them back in their run she goes back to her eggless nest. They use a pallet leaning against the wall as their nest. Which I've removed. So now she just sits in the corner. Boy she's stubborn. But shes an easy broody. She lets me pick her up off the nest without any issues.

I'm so annoyed with Annie! She's still sitting on air. She has completely ruined her new tail feathers. They are all ragged on the ends. Looks like she stuck her beak in a light socket. I've been tossing her off the nest. But as soon as i put them back in their run she goes back to her eggless nest. They use a pallet leaning against the wall as their nest. Which I've removed. So now she just sits in the corner. Boy she's stubborn. But shes an easy broody. She lets me pick her up off the nest without any issues.

Try slipping an ice pack under her and change it out when she heats it up. Cooling her belly may break her.

Last edited:

Buy her a puppy...
gig.gif

I think you deserve at least one good turkey wrassling match.

Good morning folks!

For some reason, I can't get porters calculator to work for me on my computer, someone has some poults about an hour from us that are a Royal Palm (Tom) x Bronze (Hen), does anyone have possible pictures? :p

Back
Top Bottom