A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Hey gang got an issue with one of our hens. Let me all out to enjoy the warmer temp today and they seemed happy. While I was out walking around with them the darker turkey hen layed down flat on her belly in the open yard. She NEVER lets us get close enough to touch her but I was about two feet from her and took a couple pics to show you all how she is acting. She kept closing her eyes and holding her beak open some. Think she made like a cough sound a couple times. My daughter tried to touch her and she let her pet her repeatedly. I got a towel and went to catch her in it but she got up and did a kind of weak run away from us. Then stopped and hung her head and lowered her body some. Not to ground. We got her back in the pen and I was thinking maybe put some antibiotics in water. Have vetrx drops too. Any ideas? She seemed totally fine 10 mins before she layed down. She will run from us but only for a short distance before stopping and acting tired. She is calling to the other turkey who is still out of pen. Should I separate her from chickens and other turkey? Just don't know enough about their illnesses so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks all.

I see a chicken in the background, what kind of soil do you live on?

Do you have earthworms?

That head looks very dark, If it is what I think, I am afraid you will lose all your turkeys soon. Do not sell any birds or give any away until you know for sure. I do not see any sores though...Hmmm

And adding this:

The symptoms of blackhead are quite distinctive, but the name is misleading in that the head of the bird does not always turn dark.

The first symptoms are not specific but are suggestive of blackhead. The birds stand with their heads tilted downward or drawn to the body. Their feathers are ruffled; their wings droop. Their eyes are partly closed. At first the birds are alert when they are disturbed but they quickly become indifferent if they are seriously ill. Young birds may die within two or three days after the first signs of illness, but older birds may suffer for several days before dying or starting a slow recovery. In wild turkeys in Michigan, the disease does not appear as an epidemic, but rather is diagnosed in occasional individuals. The passage of thin, sulphur-colored droppings is characteristic of blackhead, but the disease is well advanced in turkeys before this is conspicuous; this does not often appear as a symptom in chickens. The period of incubation after contact with infection is 15 to 21 days.

Last edited:
We live in middle of Missouri. Very rocky soil. But yes we do have earthworms in the soil. The turkeys never did try them when they were younger though but who knows what they might eat now. I don't think her head looks darker than usual but I will look at some pics and see. We don't sell any birds so no worry there. What are you thinking it might be?

Oh ok see what you are thinking with the added article there. Sounds similar except for the ruffled feathers. She kept feathers smooth almost constantly. Is it something they get from eating worms? We only have the two turkeys but they stay in with our chickens. Is it contagious to them or just turkeys? And also no there aren't any sores on her.

Last edited:
Well went out to check on her this morning- have her in our big dog cage in garage so she's away from other birds and will stay warmer. She was up walking around like normal. Looked like she had eaten some of her feed and I saw her drinking last night. Idk I will keep her in garage today and keep an eye on her throughout the day. Thanks for all the quick responses last night! Was very worried about her. Still worried but feel a bit better about how she's acting today. Read A LOT of articles last night so thanks again for pointing me in a good direction to figure out what's going on with her.

R2elk remind me of something I should have said.. I am not saying it is blackhead or not, that is just what came to my mind. It always comes to my mind as I worry about it with my turkeys and chickens living together. Even if I do not have a worm within miles of me.

Back
Top Bottom