A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Well went out to check on her this morning- have her in our big dog cage in garage so she's away from other birds and will stay warmer. She was up walking around like normal. Looked like she had eaten some of her feed and I saw her drinking last night. Idk I will keep her in garage today and keep an eye on her throughout the day. Thanks for all the quick responses last night! Was very worried about her. Still worried but feel a bit better about how she's acting today. Read A LOT of articles last night so thanks again for pointing me in a good direction to figure out what's going on with her.

Glad she is better. Good luck with her.

Question- some people are saying to use safeguard dewormer and other deworming meds multiple times a year. But others say you can't kill the worms that cause blackhead with those kind of meds. Read Flagyl is best. Have give to my dogs before. I worked as vet tech for years but we never treated birds there. So these illnesses are new for me. If it is blackhead could she be acting alright today but still be sick?

I don't know. I've never had to deal with it. I would keep posting questions over on the Emergency thread. How old is she? How long have your turkeys been living with the chickens? Maybe be a stupid thought, but are you sure she wasnt just "squatting "? Mine are starting too, off & on. Also, they have a habit of taking naps in the sun. May be completely off base. So keep posting on the emergency thread.

Put antibiotics in water also. What treatment is recommended?
Treatment for blackhead is metronidazole (flagyl) to treat the protozoa, enrofloxacin (Baytril) for the secondary E.coli infection that they will have, and fenbendazole (Safeguard) to kill the cecal worm.
When I treat i give the following doses:
  • metronidazole 23 mg per pound orally twice a day for 5 days.
  • enrofloxacin 4.5 mg per pound orally or by injection twice a day for five days.
  • fenbendazole 23 mg per pound orally once and repeat in 10 days.

I also provide supportive care, which means I place the bird in a warm cage. Once warm I tube fluids until hydration is corrected, then I tube food 2-3 times a day.

Metronidazole and enrofloxacin are banned for use in poultry, so that's something you would have to think about.

-K

Last edited:
Well went out to check on her this morning- have her in our big dog cage in garage so she's away from other birds and will stay warmer. She was up walking around like normal. Looked like she had eaten some of her feed and I saw her drinking last night. Idk I will keep her in garage today and keep an eye on her throughout the day. Thanks for all the quick responses last night! Was very worried about her. Still worried but feel a bit better about how she's acting today. Read A LOT of articles last night so thanks again for pointing me in a good direction to figure out what's going on with her.
Hope she is better, but sometimes they will look better then they relapse. Get a baseline weight one her, then weigh daily. If she's sick she will lose weight. You also haven't said anything about her poop... Please post some pictures of her regular poop and her cecal poop.

-Kathy

Hey Kathy...your the best! Thanks and Merry Christmas!!

Stephcraig....Kathy is our pro!!
Hi there! Sadly I have had to treat too many turkeys and peafowl for blackhead.
sad.png

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom