A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

This is a pic of her today. She and the other turkey are roaming around the yard and seem to be eating and drinking good and acting fine. Watching them closely though.

Will add that her head does seem a little darker today. Not the usual blue color.

Last edited:
Ok so found two small piles of dark green/brown diarrhea and a normal pile of poo from the turkeys. Here they are.
Those looks like pretty normal cecal poops.

This is a pic of her today. She and the other turkey are roaming around the yard and seem to be eating and drinking good and acting fine. Watching them closely though.

Will add that her head does seem a little darker today. Not the usual blue color.
That looks like a normal "regular" poop, and she looks pretty healthy to me.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

So cecal poop is just common diarrhea? Or something else should I be concerned about it? Yeah she does seem absolutely fine today!
1f600.png
So guess I will keep an eye on her and other turkey and see if there are any other signs of illness. So I'm kinda stuck on what to do about housing them now. Really feel like they shouldn't go back in with the chickens after I am sure they are healthy. But it's winter and I don't have another pen built that I could move them to. Would have to build something now and winterize it. Idk on the other hand I kinda feel like they have already been in with them and so what would it hurt to continue housing together at least till spring when I could get another pen done. Opinions??

So cecal poop is just common diarrhea? Or something else should I be concerned about it? Yeah she does seem absolutely fine today!
1f600.png
So guess I will keep an eye on her and other turkey and see if there are any other signs of illness. So I'm kinda stuck on what to do about housing them now. Really feel like they shouldn't go back in with the chickens after I am sure they are healthy. But it's winter and I don't have another pen built that I could move them to. Would have to build something now and winterize it. Idk on the other hand I kinda feel like they have already been in with them and so what would it hurt to continue housing together at least till spring when I could get another pen done. Opinions??
Pictures below from here:
http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agcomm/pubs/asc/asc203/asc203.pdf

Another good link:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html

-Kathy

Cecal poop vs regular poop

These are overnight poops from a 7 year old rooster that appears to be quite healthy. On the left is a normal cecal poop, on the right are pretty normal regular poops, though one pile has a little spec of red.

This is the same poop moved to a paper towel. regular poop on top, cecal on bottom.

Same poop again. Notice the creamy texture of the cecal poop compared to the regular poop. Interestingly, I think maybe I can see a cecal worm in this picture. Will go back and see if I can verify.

Normal peafowl cecal poop:

Abnormal peafowl cecal poop:

Abnormal chicken cecal poop:

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom