A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Sometimes the ladies chew off the beards... maybe the other boys do, too. IDK... Sometimes the ladies will even chew off one another’s beards. :lau Yes, even with turkeys you’ll get the occasional bearded babe.
Ive seen that, but i swear ive seen the beards grow back when that has happened? Maybe not haha. All i know is the beard isnt growing anymore at all since it all 90s with the bleach blonde lol

Thank you .I am a newbie at turkeys and have fallen in love with my royal palms.I am hoping they breed next year but if I were to add another type of heritage breed any suggestions?
You can see many of the Varieties of heritage turkeys at Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys. The more common varieties are available at all of the major hatcheries. The rarer varieties are sometimes available through Porter's or through local breeders.

Ive seen that, but i swear ive seen the beards grow back when that has happened? Maybe not haha. All i know is the beard isnt growing anymore at all since it all 90s with the bleach blonde lol
Turkey beards can also be rubbed or broken off especially by "fence walking". While they can grow back, whatever caused the beard loss in the first place may well be an ongoing thing. I have had toms get a nice beard started and then have the hens "groom" it continuously. Once they got it trimmed to a certain length, they kept it there.

Ones that are rubbing their beard off on a fence usually end up maintaining the beard at the shortened length.

Turkey beards can also be rubbed or broken off especially by "fence walking". While they can grow back, whatever caused the beard loss in the first place may well be an ongoing thing. I have had toms get a nice beard started and then have the hens "groom" it continuously. Once they got it trimmed to a certain length, they kept it there.

Ones that are rubbing their beard off on a fence usually end up maintaining the beard at the shortened length.

Sounds good to me. That dang turkey is spoiled. The wife has turned him into an inside pet if your remember. We butchered one of the other toms a few days ago and ate it today, but when I went out to pick a bird to butcher she freaked out and had to make sure that he was was left alone. I thought when he got big she would stop letting him chill in the living room....

...I was wrong haha!

And speaking of my teenagers! I got them to bed on time tonight avoiding Daisy rallying them on the porch to scream at me. They are really good about marching into the pen at bedtime. Rather proud of them.
I will check that out.i have one older girl and six teens.They want to roost instead of go in the pen.I am working on this.Could u post a pic of the pen you have for them when you have time please?

Does anyone have any tips for turkey coop design? They want to roost on top of the roof, the chicken house, anywhere but the empty coop. Its fine now but worried when the ice storms come.Also I am trying to entice them in with mealworms but they are stubborn.
This is normal. My turkeys roost outside in all kinds of weather in an area sheltered from the prevailing wind. Fortunately we don't get ice storms here.

You do not need a fully enclosed coop unless you need it for predator protection. A three sided lean-to with the open side facing away from the prevailing wind can work well as long as it is tall with the roosts far enough away from the sides and roof to allow the turkeys to be comfortable on the roosts. The taller the structure is, the better.

I do not rely on treats for responses from my turkeys. When I want them to go somewhere, I herd them where I want them to go. If where you want them to go is not where they want to go, it can be helpful to put something up to block their possible escape path whether that block is a temporary or permanent thing.

Last edited:
My coop in nothing special. It started out as a 16×16 corrugated roofed chain link dog run. In the back area I added full height boards as a wind block on three sides. And their roosts. Also added hardware cloth to the exterior so nothing can get inside. It works for me. Its dry and they are out of the wind in cold weather. In the summer I hang box fans to keep the air moving. I worry more about the heat here than the cold.

Back
Top Bottom