A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

Turkeys should have rescue groups! LOL! I know there are chicken rescues. I've had great luck adopting older turkey hens. Ralphie rescued a couple turkeys with great results too.

It's cold this morning! 45...may be a record low.

I'd love 45 right now!!

Can I have those extra 15 degrees please? :fl 🥶

X2!! It's 30° with flurries right now. The car was frozen shut this morning!

Hey, been awhile since I’ve been on here. Can y’all help me ID this poult, please? Dad is a pure Sweetgrass, and I’m thinking mom is my Golden Narragansett hen as the others should only produce Sweetgrass. GN’s genotype is bb1 Ccg n Rr. I’m thinking it’s a Cornish Palm or Fall Fire? I can’t find any pics of poults of those varieties and the bronze based options would be much darker, no? The only other option would be the bourbon red semi grey option, I believe. TIA for any insight :)
Almost a week old.
85CF55A6-E0EE-4B8B-AC3C-8341CE610242.jpeg
3D2CCE0C-52D6-4B37-BAE2-EC517A714E28.jpeg
6B9B8FFF-33A3-4CE2-AD88-2A8E3FAD54F0.jpeg
B40C4221-6FB8-43A5-99CE-676FD7A3B5D3.jpeg

Hey, been awhile since I’ve been on here. Can y’all help me ID this poult, please? Dad is a pure Sweetgrass, and I’m thinking mom is my Golden Narragansett hen as the others should only produce Sweetgrass. GN’s genotype is bb1 Ccg n Rr. I’m thinking it’s a Cornish Palm or Fall Fire? I can’t find any pics of poults of those varieties and the bronze based options would be much darker, no? The only other option would be the bourbon red semi grey option, I believe. TIA for any insight :)
Almost a week old.
View attachment 2131660View attachment 2131661View attachment 2131662View attachment 2131666
Without further investigation, it appears to have the black back stripe of a Sweetgrass poult and is feathering out similar to my current week old crop of pure Sweetgrass poults.

You can ask on the Facebook Turkey Color Genetics Group but I suspect that you are going to have to wait for adult feathers for clarity.

Thanks @R2elk
All the littles had a black stripe at hatch, but only this one is super defined and has the extra spots in the down as well as feathering in so dark. The poult pics on Porter’s website has all the Sweetgrass poults as nearly completely white until 6 weeks - hence my confusion. It’s my first year with Sweetgrass and the other potential varieties from my Golden Narragansett, so I’m still getting accustomed to them :)
It’s driving me crazy not being able to find pics of Fall Fire or Cornish Palm poults so I can differentiate :rolleyes:

Thanks @R2elk
All the littles had a black stripe at hatch, but only this one is super defined and has the extra spots in the down as well as feathering in so dark. The poult pics on Porter’s website has all the Sweetgrass poults as nearly completely white until 6 weeks - hence my confusion. It’s my first year with Sweetgrass and the other potential varieties from my Golden Narragansett, so I’m still getting accustomed to them :)
It’s driving me crazy not being able to find pics of Fall Fire or Cornish Palm poults so I can differentiate :rolleyes:
I have lots of the Sweetgrass poults coloring up in the wings at one week old. I have a number of them that the back stripe is very dim but they are all pure Sweetgrass.

There are lots of varieties that the poults look so similar that it would be impossible for me to identify them from poult pictures.

Good luck figuring out what it is.

As far as I have been able to find, there is only one picture of an adult Cornish Palm hen on the Internet. I have not found any other photos of Cornish palms of any age.

Back
Top Bottom