A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

It sprinkled again this morning without any measurable amount of precipitation. Total measurable rainfall since July 6, 2020 is 0.04". Total measurable rainfall since May 10, 2020 is 0.77".
We had an inch in the rain gauge this morning, underneath a snow cone of hail, Very grateful for the moisture. I asked for a steady rain—no hail, though. :lau Somebody's mixing up the request slips... We'll need to do some painting touchup, but no major damage.

My favorite girl Sparrow isnt feeling very well today, so I brought her in so I can keep an eye on her tonight ant get some vitamins in her and see if she perks up tomorrow. Here she is on the highest perch on the house (much to my cat Fletcher's annoyance)

Attachments

• 20200901_202343.jpg
    20200901_202343.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 8
@R2elk

Several months ago, I had a bourbon red tom wander to my place - and long story short - the owners decided to leave him here. Due to pen contraints, this tom was allowed in with my Midget Whites of two hens and a MW tom. One of the hens ended up making a nest out in my garden (surprise!) and she had laid a clutch of 6 eggs. I took them and put the six in the incubator. However, she went back to that nest and laid 4 more eggs - and I let her stay since it was fenced.

Fast forward to now. Of the six in the incubator, 3 were infertile, 2 developed blood rings, 1 hatched. A few days later, I checked on Diamond and she had one leaking rotten egg, one white poult dead in the shell, and one live poult. I disposed of the rotten egg and dead poult, took the live one and put in a brooder and the next day found that the remaining egg she had was gone.

These are the two poults. I think one is now 9 days old and one is 5. What do you expect they may be variety color-wise? (other than barnyard turkeys - I get that lol).

large_narri_cross_poult.jpg

small_narri_cross_poult.jpg

I also now have 3 blue slates, 3 lavenders, 1 black; 10 MW poults, a juvenile bourbon red hen and 2 bourbon red poults (bought eggs), and a year old MW tom to replace my Cooper tom, along with my original Tommie Tucker Turkey and Ironsides. It's starting to look like a turkey farm here.
:oops::gig

@R2elk

Several months ago, I had a bourbon red tom wander to my place - and long story short - the owners decided to leave him here. Due to pen contraints, this tom was allowed in with my Midget Whites of two hens and a MW tom. One of the hens ended up making a nest out in my garden (surprise!) and she had laid a clutch of 6 eggs. I took them and put the six in the incubator. However, she went back to that nest and laid 4 more eggs - and I let her stay since it was fenced.

Fast forward to now. Of the six in the incubator, 3 were infertile, 2 developed blood rings, 1 hatched. A few days later, I checked on Diamond and she had one leaking rotten egg, one white poult dead in the shell, and one live poult. I disposed of the rotten egg and dead poult, took the live one and put in a brooder and the next day found that the remaining egg she had was gone.

These are the two poults. I think one is now 9 days old and one is 5. What do you expect they may be variety color-wise? (other than barnyard turkeys - I get that lol).

View attachment 2318174

View attachment 2318175

I also now have 3 blue slates, 3 lavenders, 1 black; 10 MW poults, a juvenile bourbon red hen and 2 bourbon red poults (bought eggs), and a year old MW tom to replace my Cooper tom, along with my original Tommie Tucker Turkey and Ironsides. It's starting to look like a turkey farm here.
:oops::gig
Porter's Turkey Color Calculator says they should be Red Bronze Semi-Color. Recessive white can hide all other color genes including the dominant ones. Does your hen have blue or brown eyes?

Porter's Turkey Color Calculator says they should be Red Bronze Semi-Color. Recessive white can hide all other color genes including the dominant ones. Does your hen have blue or brown eyes?
Geeze - as many times as I have been eyeball to eyeball, I think the eyes are blue, but won't swear to that!
blue_eyed_hen.jpg

I can doublecheck tomorrow, but this is one pic I found.

Geeze - as many times as I have been eyeball to eyeball, I think the eyes are blue, but won't swear to that!View attachment 2318209

I can doublecheck tomorrow, but this is one pic I found.
Blue eyes mean they are black based while brown eyes mean they are bronze based. Green eyes probably mean one black gene and one bronze gene.

I am guessing that the poults are Red Bronze Semi-Color which means that they will look very much like a normal Red Bronze.

Blue eyes mean they are black based while brown eyes mean they are bronze based. Green eyes probably mean one black gene and one bronze gene.

I am guessing that the poults are Red Bronze Semi-Color which means that they will look very much like a normal Red Bronze.
Thank you so much, @R2elk . I hadn't really paid any attention until someone asked me why I had bred the MW hen to one of my Narragansetts - all the while knowing they had never been in the same pen and no possibility of an "accident".

It goes without saying that I am not the most observant tool in the box - especially when there are several unrelated but multiple projects going on here (and not necessarily involving me at all - but still "here").

Then there is the little fact that my sister once again showered me with 10 bearded silkies,3 olive eggers, 4 blue eggers (all small chicks), along with the MW tom, 2 young MW poults, and a 10 day old MW poult. For my birthday. Yay me! :he

Keeping things straight is sometimes a losing battle.......just saying. lol

Thank you so much, @R2elk . I hadn't really paid any attention until someone asked me why I had bred the MW hen to one of my Narragansetts - all the while knowing they had never been in the same pen and no possibility of an "accident".

It goes without saying that I am not the most observant tool in the box - especially when there are several unrelated but multiple projects going on here (and not necessarily involving me at all - but still "here").

Then there is the little fact that my sister once again showered me with 10 bearded silkies,3 olive eggers, 4 blue eggers (all small chicks), along with the MW tom, 2 young MW poults, and a 10 day old MW poult. For my birthday. Yay me! :he

Keeping things straight is sometimes a losing battle.......just saying. lol
You do the best that you can and that is all that anyone can ask of you.

Oh I hope she'll be ok
I let her out this morning and she seemed better! Slept really nice, didn't make a noise at all last night. She just perched on the back of my computer chair lol. Still keeping an eye on her though.

Those babies are so cute! They definitely remind me of my Red Bronze when she was little. Super cute. Speaking of weird colored babies, I can't for the life of me figure out these guys.

photo_2020-09-02_22-14-18 (2).jpg
This is Ptarmigan! I thought at first she was out of my Red bourbon tom + lilac hen, but she's not turning out like a red blue bronze that I can tell (Unless she is actually a he, which is possible). Other possible parent is probably my Rusty Slate hen (who is red bourbon/self blue). Here's her baby pics.
photo_2020-08-07_21-27-01.jpg

Then there's her sister, Dove, who I don't know what color she is. She's out of my Red Bourbon tom and either my Red Bronze hen (Who is red bourbon/black spanish), my Rusty Slate hen (who is red bourbon/self blue), my lilac hens (I don't think so, cause according to porter's the only possibility is red blue bronze), or my royal palm hen (also not likely). She almost looks like a red bourbon at this age, but her baby stage was a lot lighter then most red bourbons I've had. Unless I'm just super wrong. Which I could be. photo_2020-09-02_22-16-50.jpg
Her now

photo_2020-09-02_22-14-19.jpg
Baby image (She's the lighter one, the darker one is actually Ptarmigan!)

Back
Top Bottom