A century of Turkey talk 2000-2100.

All but 1st egg is pretty good sized,1st egg was kind of small. Like to see some of my older hens start laying before I start collecting for incubation.
I dare not start the bator before the second week of April. We get wild temp changes between now and then and the bator can't keep up.

I dare not start the bator before the second week of April. We get wild temp changes between now and then and the bator can't keep up.
I have a few tabletop incubators that I use indoors to get a little earlier start. That way I can start as they begin laying. I like that extra month growth I can get for some of the jakes before Thanksgiving.

I have a few tabletop incubators that I use indoors to get a little earlier start. That way I can start as they begin laying. I like that extra month growth I can get for some of the jakes before Thanksgiving.
Any time temps outdoors is below 30* I use wood heat. Starting in a week or two we'll wake up to temps in the teens and get up to 100s in the afternoon. My heat/ac is not auto switching so we'll turn on AC to go to bed and when we wake up the room with the bator will be in the 40's/50's. We'll start a fire, but it takes a couple hours for the room to heat up.

Any time temps outdoors is below 30* I use wood heat. Starting in a week or two we'll wake up to temps in the teens and get up to 100s in the afternoon. My heat/ac is not auto switching so we'll turn on AC to go to bed and when we wake up the room with the bator will be in the 40's/50's. We'll start a fire, but it takes a couple hours for the room to heat up.
Yes, can understand that that is a lot of fluctuation.

All 9 of my girls got fresh, brand new saddles today. A couple of the old ones were missing, a couple were stuck on sideways (holes got filled with dirt and weighted them over to one side), and a couple were just terrible and worn out. Here was Sweet Pea's saddle which she had been wearing probably 3 years straight! It did its job lol

20220310_193126.jpg

A few of you will remember back when I first started experimenting with making turkey saddles and Sweet Pea was my first victim.... We've come a long way lol

Maybe tomorrow I'll remember to take my phone out with me and get some pictures of the girls while their new saddles are still fresh, clean and new

Back
Top Bottom