A challenge - females

Sydney65

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
Indiana
Common Knowledge is keets can't be sexed. Other common knowledge, I'm not always right..wait..I'm USUALLY not right. Lol. And a third, sometimes I come off as a nuttier than a fruitcake.
Keeping in mind that my "flock" is far smaller than most suggest, my hatches are even smaller. Downside, I take my losses hard. Upside, maybe - I get to observe things that might get missed in larger confusions.
So the fruitcake has often commented abt her goons vocalizations. I once talked abt one seeming so polite bc it sounded like it said "thank you"all the time.
I don't remember which one I attributed it to, it was my 1st set of keets. Over time I realized this was the 1st vocalizations of females.Not sure I ever mentioned it, bc - well- 🥜🍒🎂. But it is how we've learned to recognize our females.
Hopefully it's loud enough to hear. These 2 are 3 days old. I only recorded one,but they do indeed do it in unison:

Common Knowledge is keets can't be sexed. Other common knowledge, I'm not always right..wait..I'm USUALLY not right. Lol. And a third, sometimes I come off as a nuttier than a fruitcake.
Keeping in mind that my "flock" is far smaller than most suggest, my hatches are even smaller. Downside, I take my losses hard. Upside, maybe - I get to observe things that might get missed in larger confusions.
So the fruitcake has often commented abt her goons vocalizations. I once talked abt one seeming so polite bc it sounded like it said "thank you"all the time.
I don't remember which one I attributed it to, it was my 1st set of keets. Over time I realized this was the 1st vocalizations of females.Not sure I ever mentioned it, bc - well- 🥜🍒🎂. But it is how we've learned to recognize our females.
Hopefully it's loud enough to hear. These 2 are 3 days old. I only recorded one,but they do indeed do it in unison:
Sorry I didn't hear any keet sounds.

Not trying to rain on your parade but I know of at least two cases where a youngster was thought to be a hen because of a two syllable call it made while young. In both of those cases the keet turned out to be a male once it was mature and never made the two syllable call as an adult. Neither ever laid any eggs either.

Sorry I didn't hear any keet sounds.

Not trying to rain on your parade but I know of at least two cases where a youngster was thought to be a hen because of a two syllable call it made while young. In both of those cases the keet turned out to be a male once it was mature and never made the two syllable call as an adult. Neither ever laid any eggs either.
I considered that - remember, I said my boys mimicked the sing song sound of "good morning". They still do. I attribute that to repetition.- and I've never tried again to catch that on recorder after Rosie drowned everyone else out. I'll have to do so. - But the perceived "thank you" so far ends up female.

Will try to record the little ones again - and ofcourse, thank you, come back, pec -cue, buckwheat- all perceptions. Heck, I was thankful someone else could recognize the "for real" from Blue that I once posted. Lol.
As for my 2 older boys, they are currently babysitting the 3 older keets in the coop. The coop brooder is in there, of course, and they stayed in it all day yesterday. This a.m. they were up on the roost w/the males and have been out all day. I'll hustle them back in tonight as the temp is to drop, but pleased by how tolerant males are being.

I considered that - remember, I said my boys mimicked the sing song sound of "good morning". They still do. I attribute that to repetition.- and I've never tried again to catch that on recorder after Rosie drowned everyone else out. I'll have to do so. - But the perceived "thank you" so far ends up female.

Will try to record the little ones again - and ofcourse, thank you, come back, pec -cue, buckwheat- all perceptions. Heck, I was thankful someone else could recognize the "for real" from Blue that I once posted. Lol.
As for my 2 older boys, they are currently babysitting the 3 older keets in the coop. The coop brooder is in there, of course, and they stayed in it all day yesterday. This a.m. they were up on the roost w/the males and have been out all day. I'll hustle them back in tonight as the temp is to drop, but pleased by how tolerant males are being.
That’s really awesome that your boys are good with the keets! I’ve had a few keets that I thought were likely female due to the constant noise that they made…

That’s really awesome that your boys are good with the keets! I’ve had a few keets that I thought were likely female due to the constant noise that they made…
Here's a second try-my apologies - I had totally blocked out the fans running in the background, & still only turned off one for this. It'll be awhile before we have the egg evidence, so mb I'll bookmark to come back & say "See!" :lau

I’ve heard that before. Usually the sound I hear when a group is fighting for a spot at the feed dish. Never thought that might be an early female call though.
Lol..I hadn't noticed in others before but these 2 were agitated today - they sounded like chattering chipmunks bickering.
I took away their little bowl to move them up to a water bottle today; I had to make a new one for them bc the other is in the outside brooder w/the other 3. It's just a juice bottle w/the nipples that have cups under them.
But - I decided I may as well forego the cup and just have the nipple since that's what the big tank is outside - why make them learn an extra step, right?
So not only did I take away their bowl, put in a giant bottle and force them to learn a new way to get water, even after they proved they could do it, they were forced to continue doing it. T
They threw a fit everytime they wanted a drink. Pecked at the bottle itself, chattered, made themselves as loud as they could before finally giving up and just got on with getting a drink. Rinse and repeat.
They'd finally adjusted by the time Himself got home(thank goodness). The dogs were even peering through the screen at them today.🤫

Lol..I hadn't noticed in others before but these 2 were agitated today - they sounded like chattering chipmunks bickering.
I took away their little bowl to move them up to a water bottle today; I had to make a new one for them bc the other is in the outside brooder w/the other 3. It's just a juice bottle w/the nipples that have cups under them.
But - I decided I may as well forego the cup and just have the nipple since that's what the big tank is outside - why make them learn an extra step, right?
So not only did I take away their bowl, put in a giant bottle and force them to learn a new way to get water, even after they proved they could do it, they were forced to continue doing it. T
They threw a fit everytime they wanted a drink. Pecked at the bottle itself, chattered, made themselves as loud as they could before finally giving up and just got on with getting a drink. Rinse and repeat.
They'd finally adjusted by the time Himself got home(thank goodness). The dogs were even peering through the screen at them today.🤫
Haha. Goofy little ones.
It’s funny, as I type I can hear mine making that noise from the other room. They are very “chatty” after I freshly fill their food and water dishes in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom