A Chicken Breed for Each Egg Color? (Is that possible?)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Eelantha, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Eelantha

Eelantha Chirping

Mar 11, 2018
    Quebec (Qc)
    One of my many rookie dreams is to have a colorful egg basket to admire whenever I go visit the nesting boxes of my chicken shed. I have in mind nice, calm, cold hardy breeds that lay a minimum of 150 eggs/year, and are preferably equipped with pea, rose, cushion or walnut combs to repel frostbite, though I'll consider single combs too if no smaller comb varieties are known for the desired egg color. My targetted breeds are as follows:

White egg: Lamona or California Grey
    Beige/tinted egg: Chantecler
    Brown egg: Buckeye or Rose Comb Rhode Island White/Red or Wyandotte
    Chocolate egg: Marans (preferably the English ones) or Welsummer
    Blue egg: Ameraucana or Cream Legbar
    Green egg: Olive Egger or Isbar.

Have I missed one or several breeds of chickens for the above egg colors with comb/cold hardiness/egg ratio/personality I'm seeking out? There are so many chicken varieties nowadays, that it's hard to keep track of all of them. Also, thoughts on this idea, guys? Any favorite breed you'd like to recommend in the above mentionned ones? Good/bad experiences, overall impressions, thoughts on those chickens? It's just a dream for now, but an appealing one I'd like to eventually try out in the future.

Thanks for any input!

2. Kruchti

Kruchti Chirping

Mar 4, 2018
    Galena, Alaska
    Following! I also live we’re it is cold.

3. Hyroler

Hyroler Songster

Aug 1, 2017
    My tetra brown lays reddish brown eggs.Dark like Maran egg only more red

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  4. Eelantha

Eelantha Chirping

Mar 11, 2018
    Quebec (Qc)
    Terra brown? Is it a brown hen hybrid?

5. Hyroler

Hyroler Songster

Aug 1, 2017
    Tetra brown or Isa brown yes it hybrid

6. Chickencrazy2018

Chickencrazy2018 Chirping

Jan 30, 2018
    West Virginia
    Blue Eggs: Whiting True Blue. (I am fairly sure they have the peacocks comb you are looking for but I am not sure if they are cold hardy)
    Green Eggs: Whiting True Green
    Brown Eggs: Buff Rocks, White Rocks, Barred Rocks (These have a small comb but not pea), Black Australorps (has a record of laying 364 eggs in 365 days :) )Light Brahmas and Dark Cornish

7. SnowKnitty

SnowKnitty In the Brooder

Jan 20, 2017
    South Jordan, Utah
    I looked into Whiting True Blues. Sadly, they are not cold hardy types.

Chickencrazy2018 likes this.

8. SnowKnitty

SnowKnitty In the Brooder

Jan 20, 2017
    South Jordan, Utah
    It took me a while to acquire and raise my flock. And it wasn't without some problems. But I love the flock and their eggs are beautiful. IMG_1523.JPG Here's what I have and what they lay:
    White egg: 55 Flowery
    Beige/tinted egg: Smaaland
    Green-blue egg: Cream Legbar
    Blue egg: Ameraucana
    Green egg: Olive Egger and Isbar (Silverudd Blues)
    With regard to cold, the 2 dual-purpose olive eggers I "inherited" seem to handle the snow better than my layers. (My layers sometimes fly from point to point to cross an area of snow.) It's probably just because the dual-purpose birds have more mass and a thicker fat layer.
    I am very fond of my sole Ameraucana but she doesn't lay very many eggs. The Cream Legbars, Smaalands, and Isbars lay a good number of eggs. And the Cream Legbars are the most personable of the bunch (or just the bravest when it comes to the possibility of treats). The 55s have a tendency to lay their eggs in what I call "unauthorized nests". (Since mine have a lot of free range space, the daily Easter egg hunt gets old.) In my opinion, the Isbars are the prettiest.
    Hope this helps. Good luck!

Chickencrazy2018 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by