Cold Hardy chicken breeds suggestions?

I'm surprised no one has suggested Russian Orloffs. I love my Orloffs. They are not reliable layers but they are large white eggs. Small combs and beards. Mine love to wade around in the snow.
Untitled_Artwork 9.jpg
Untitled_Artwork 8.jpg
Untitled_Artwork 7.jpg

Okay birds, inexpensive, but be aware that most/ all farm stores are really good at mislabeling their chicks, both by breeds and sex. At least know what chicks of the breeds you want actually look like before buying. Won't help with missed sexing, but at leat the breeds may be correct.
Second that with TSC! Their birds are "hatchery quality," which means they aren't breeding to standards or show quality, they're just putting out chicks. It doesn't mean that their chicks are poor quality, necessarily, just don't expect to start a breeding program for show quality birds with them.

If you buy "straight run" chicks, ie, unsexed, statistically they should be 50-50 male-female. I bought 3 straight run Buff Orpington chicks my first go around. Statistically, I had a 12.5% chance of getting 3 out of 3 males. Well, that's what happened. And even though lots of people say their Buff Orp roos are nice gentlemen, I had to cull 2 of them at 4 months for being total jerks to the pullets and me. The third lived for 2 years, and he was good with the girls, but my nickname for him was Butthead. I miss seeing him with the girls, but I don't miss him. I had to take a stick into the run to keep him away from me. (My Chantecler roo is a much better guy. Thanks, @Folly's place.)

A lot of people will say start with just pullets for your first flock. I wish I'd had that advice.

Could you elaborate more on “not reliable layers?” I’m happy with 2-3 eggs a week…do they lay less than this? Thanks! I am quite interested in these guys.
Everything I've read says expect around 2 eggs a week for a total of about 100 in a year. Most have been about 2 a week however a couple girls would lay every other day and then just quit for a few weeks and then start up again. Not horrible just not reliable.

Everything I've read says expect around 2 eggs a week for a total of about 100 in a year. Most have been about 2 a week however a couple girls would lay every other day and then just quit for a few weeks and then start up again. Not horrible just not reliable.
That’s totally do-able! Are they broody often? Thanks!

Went down to help my sister in law with their new shed and foundation(its going to be their coop)
. She got her first egg today but she doesnt know which of her chickens laid it lol But we spent a good hour and a half trying to prep a spot for the foundation. in the end only got half way there before we got sick and tired of shovels and the sun was going down lol. Tomorrow is a better looking day so Ill be looking for the weed eater and attempt that because the grass needs to go and shovels arn't cutting it.

Back
Top Bottom