A Chicken Bully?? WHAT?

ChickChickee

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
So...i got a pair of sisters Lucy and Ethel and when Lucy passed away way too young from complications resulting from egg peritonitis, Ethel was lonely and confused. She adjusted well after two days and while she was always reserved and wary of me, came around quite nicely in the interim (about almost 2 weeks) before i got another chicken. A young, handsome Brahma, Phyllis.

Didn't realsie Ethel was a bit-um, was a crab apple until i introduced Phyllis. Probably my fault, as Ethel was already in bed when i shoved in Phyllis. Ethel gave her stink eye from her perch as Phyllis cautiously explored her new little coop with the aid of my flashlight. It STORMED that night but they survived one another and the next morning, out they came.

I brought out the feed which they ran to and...Ethel clucked Phyllis away. So i started scattering goodies in the yard and every time Phyllis bent to pick up a bit of corn or pea, Ethel had a problem and started to trip. If Phyllis looked remotely interested in ANYTHING, Ethel has to come streaming from the other side of the yard to get it first.

WILL THIS STOP?? Phyllis will starve if Ethel wont quit it! She's even taken to eating the meal worms right out of my hand so i cant set them down. This afternoon, i set down THREE watermelon chunk rinds and Ethel managed to work all three of them so Phyllis wouldn't have a chance.

WHAT TO DO??

You may have to feed them separately for a while, but they should work it out in time. If no blood is being drawn, it's pretty normal. Someone has to be the boss.

Back
Top Bottom