A Chicken Coop Christmas Ornament

As I keep coming back to this thread, that little corner of blue cardboard is really starting to bug me. I think after it's opened, I'll have to take it out to the garage for a little finishing work to cover that with a tiny custom cut piece. :cool:

As I keep coming back to this thread, that little corner of blue cardboard is really starting to bug me. I think after it's opened, I'll have to take it out to the garage for a little finishing work to cover that with a tiny custom cut piece. :cool:
That was bugging me too.(not really-haha!)
Does it hang well?
I'm sure she'll be charmed as she knows of your true building talents ;)

Oh boy, how many volunteers does my hubby have... because they only see the GOOD side... Or because I'm a house wife. :rolleyes: It's OK I know the truth is we ALL have issues. And we have learned to live with and accept the other faults that go along with having a wonderful spouse... Even if my hubby made that for me, we are procrastinators and starting projects is easy but finishing is hard (for us). I came up with a coop/tractor idea that is only 3x5 and I'm ALMOST done with the finish details... after 2 YEARS! :oops: Seriously though, I can't wait to post the result. A lot of time went into getting the functionality of it correct and it has cute factor to boot.

Hope you will post your end results as well, with a pic of your lovely, smiling wife as well! :pop

So, here's today's construction update. As you know, the process of drawing out plans, getting exact measurements, and creating a shopping list takes some time. Not to mention the time at the lumberyard. Fortunately, Home Depot wasn't busy, because I spent about an hour at the mill having pieces cut to various lengths.

Here's the revised concept agreed to with the Mrs:
const000.JPG

Here's the quick cutting guide I took to the lumberyard sawmill so I could have them do the cutting, as well as the detailed list of lumber. I omitted roofing materials. I'll make another trip for them later. I wanted to get started building.

const001.JPG const002.JPG const003.JPG const004.JPG

Here's my loaded up cart:
const005.JPG

And, my loaded up truck. Some folks suggested that I build a bigger coop. But it's easier to fit the lumber for a six foot coop in a six foot truck bed. I had a fair drive to home depot, so I wanted everything buttoned up tight, not hanging out the back willy nilly.
const006.JPG

And, unloaded into the garage. Finalllly! Let's get started!
const007.JPG

If you're gonna build one of these, you need a circular miter saw. Don't even try it without. This is a very affordable Harbor Freight model.
const008.JPG

Here's the first panel we're starting: the Left Side:
const009.JPG

Framing cut and laid out. This is pretty simple.
const010.JPG

OK, now the panel with window cut out. Final trim framing, mesh, and closing shutters will come later. Note that the correct width for the window is 20" - not 18" shown on the plans. I use quick "rough" plans and sometimes have to correct some exact measurements at construction time.

const011.JPG

You probably already know how to cut a hole in a panel, using a drill and a jigsaw.
const012.JPG

Finished side panel.
const013.JPG

It's important that the panel overlaps both sides of the frame by roughly about 3/8" on both sides. I'll explain why later -you'll be able to see on the "how corners fit together" diagram.

const014.JPG

In addition to fasteners, I use "liquid nails" construction adhesive to attach the panelling to the framing. It's probably worth calling out here the use of "structural" panelling. This is "LP SmartSide" stranded panelling. A lot of panelling has no shear strength and is only designed to be attached over an OSB structural sheathing. For simplicity, cost, and weight, I wanted to use a single layer. You could use plywood, but this has a nicer outward appearance.

(Yes, this is a lousy glue bead. I do better when not holding the camera in the other hand.)

const015.JPG

Finished one wall, and time to call it a night. Now that the job is set up, I'll get a lot more done tomorrow. But first, I promised to show why that overlap was important:
const017.JPG

Attachments

• const016.JPG
    const016.JPG
    501 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom