A chicken happened at me!

Thothgirl

Hatching
Oct 10, 2016
Hello!

About a week ago, my husband was in his workshed and a chicken wandered up to him and started hanging out while he was sanding wood. It stayed out and about with him for several hours and we locked it in the shed that night after giving it food and water.

The neighborhood kids ran it off the next day mostly on accident, right after we went ahead and bought her (as it was determined by that point to be a hen) a proper water dish and some real chicken food.

Yesterday I head outside for my morning cup of a coffee and who should I find? Our chicken! coming out from under the house. So of course we promptly went to go get everything necessary to build a coop. She spent all day "Helping" build her new home and slept in the shed again. The coop should be done by tonight and I a hoping she likes it.

So that is what brought me to you lovely site! A surprise chicken that seems to have adopted us.

Chel hanging out in her unfinished coop

Great story. She does seem to have adopted you! You might consider locating a friend for her....chickens are social and do better with company. It'd be a shame to build that nice coop for just one! ;). Best wishes!

Was planing on getting 4 female chicks for her in the next two weeks or so to keep her company. Will post pics of coop when done, but it has 5 built in laying boxes.

I have never met a friendly chicken before this one. She even let me pet her the first day.

Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! Glad you could join us, and what a great story! I am sure she will love some buddies! What breed chicks are you getting?

I guess whatever they have at the local feed store. they have four seperate types of chickens, but only one is vaccinated and sexed, which is important. Also because Roosters are illegal where I am. so it will be whatever I can get.

I was told that 5 chickens was the right amount for all of them to feel safe and secure. anyone know if that is right?

I think adding two girls would be fine. So if something happens to one, your adopted chicken will still have company. Sounds like your husband is a real "chick' magnet."
gig.gif

You can check out new birds by posting photos at "what breed or gender is this." Would love to hear updates on your addition(s).

Back
Top Bottom