A Chicken Race? how would you do it? prizes are $50, $25, $15?

Trying to get them all to move in the same direction at the same time might be a chore.

You might think about using a large circle and having all of the birds released in the center of the circle. First bird to cross the line to the other side wins.

A.T. Hagan :

Trying to get them all to move in the same direction at the same time might be a chore.

You might think about using a large circle and having all of the birds released in the center of the circle. First bird to cross the line to the other side wins.

good idea AT, like a 20 yd radius circle? release birds in middle, all of em or 3-4 at a time, with handlers?

only thing was collecting the birds after the race? should we mandate loose haytwine leashes?

I thought the chute idea may be easier to corral the birds, depending on entries... maybe trials in the chutes, then

semi finalists make it to the circle of chicken fun? we have plenty of area to set up the circle.

I am hoping for ~16-24 competitors of ages 5-12, from the local area schools,

remember this is all taking place in a small town in the catskills, as part of the AG fair celebration, just want people smiling as they leave.

thanks! TD​

It happened, it was awesome!

9 contestants, we donated the green ribbons, our winner won $50, then $25, $15, $10

there was a crowd gathered to watch, some chickens escaped and got DQ'd, it was a blast, kids, chickens and parents were happy.

our winner, second pic, had been training in the yard for weeks, her parents told us... that bird knew she was there to work. good stuff!

67513_chicken01.jpg

67513_chicken02.jpg

Quote:
I think we will have to tape the whole thing...maybe get some coverage of the event, we can definitley put it up on youtube at the very least, I like your idea!

how long do you think it should be?

do contestant and chicken have to cross the line together or just the chicken?

hens or roosters?

large fowl or bantams? does it matter?

weight classes?

age groups for contestants? or keep it to the young adults, up top age 12?

If you were to race them in a group you would have to be carefull of fights breaking outs.

Couldn't you have chickens or ducks that have imprinted on you run the race?They would follow you wouldn't they? I was thinking duck races would be awesome especially because their so cute when they run!
wee.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom