A Chicken Race? how would you do it? prizes are $50, $25, $15?

MobyQuail

c. giganticus
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
Quailtropolis
I am looking into sponsoring a chicken race at the Ag fair in my hometown, the race would be open to children up to age 11 or 12? prizes are $50, $25, $15? for 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

I want to promote it, to draw more people to the Ag fair, but want to discuss any issues up front.

thinking orange barricade fencing with 2 chutes side by side, we pair up the contestants and they race each other and advance in bracket format?

what are your thoughts? I know there exists the possibility of contestants or chickens being injured...don't want any protesters the day of so all discussion is welcome.

Sounds interesting, but I don't see how you could get a chicken going without its favorite treat at the end.

this interest me too
pop.gif

It might be just me,but chickens seem to race when food is near.
You should put some scratch grains on the ground at the end of the race,then have someone to throw bread on the ground near the scratch. The chickens would have to be trained and friendly though,but it would be fun. I know with dog races they have a fake fox that races and the dogs chase it,so it would seem like it would work. It does with mine of course. Or maybe you could try worms?
I think it's a good idea and it would be very fun.
smile.png

you are all correct, half the fun I think would be getting your chicken to move in the right direction
smile.png

think of the fun for the spectators too, you could start to train your chicken now, you have 3 months...

how many yards long do you think the race should be? 20, 30, 40?

also got a "Chicken Bingo" idea from my pals on the Quail forum
smile.png

This sound like the most genious , hilarious event for a fair ever, I demand a video! What my chickens go absalutly go mad for is any kind of fatty trimmings, worms, crickets, and cat food. Though I think you would have to make it somehow clear to the chickens what was waiting for them at the end.Live Moving delicacies such as worms and crickets would probably work for that

Quote:
I think we will have to tape the whole thing...maybe get some coverage of the event, we can definitley put it up on youtube at the very least, I like your idea!

how long do you think it should be?

do contestant and chicken have to cross the line together or just the chicken?

hens or roosters?

large fowl or bantams? does it matter?

weight classes?

age groups for contestants? or keep it to the young adults, up top age 12?

Quote:
I think we will have to tape the whole thing...maybe get some coverage of the event, we can definitley put it up on youtube at the very least, I like your idea!

how long do you think it should be?

do contestant and chicken have to cross the line together or just the chicken?

hens or roosters?

large fowl or bantams? does it matter?

weight classes?

age groups for contestants? or keep it to the young adults, up top age 12?

You should probably group the heavy chickens (Orps,Rocks,ect.) in one group and the lighter built chickens,like leghorns in one group. Also,do the same with bantams.You should also have a game birds,which usually sprint faster in a group by themselves. If someone had a breed like a sumatra,which can jump the length of a football field racing against a large barred rock,it would'nt be fair. But just pair bantams with bantams in the same group and large fowl with large fowl in the same group.

It would not matter if they were cock or hen,just so they can't see each-other.. The cocks will want to jump over to the hens,or the cocks will want to fight eachother.
lol.png
Lol.

Back
Top Bottom