A chicken that hates chickens!?!?

MizLizArbuckle

In the Brooder
May 23, 2017
hello everyone! My husband and I are new to raising chickens. We decided to get 5 chicks all about the same age about a month old. My husband decided to get another chick(the same age as the others) so we could have more eggs. We took our time introducing them to the new chick. Once we felt they were all ok the flock attacked her. She was pretty timid and nervous pretty much defensive towards the others. We separated the new chick. We read that chickens don't do wel by themselves so we tried another chick from her same brood. She attacked the new one. She loves people and human attention. But hates, I mean hates other chickens being around or near her. Is this normal? And what can we do?

I don't think she actually hates other chickens, you initially isolated her, than tried to introduce her to chicks she didn't know, than to chicks she probably didn't remember. You should always get a minimum of two at a time to avoid what you have going on.

They will work it out eventually and all will forget that some don't belong. Separate by a fence if anyone gets bullied, but keep putting them together under supervision. Chickens peck each other, it's how they communicate. Separate only if someone is being pecked badly. Make sure there are hiding places for everyone to get away from each other.

You situation might be bettered by introducing one chick at a time to the new comer. Do dominant chick first. Do it late in the day and watch. Let them sleep together over night. After 24 hours add a second chick following same procedure. Then add balance after an additional 24 hours. Make so new bird has home turf for introductions.

I can't add anything to the great advice these other two have given except to urge patience.

It's SOP for a dominant chick to greet any new chick with a peck on the head. Don't be alarmed by this. It's how chicks roll. Chicks are even more quick to accept newcomers than older chickens.

Thank you all for the great information. We put up a fence in the coop and outside in their run today and the new chick seems more interested in the flock this time around. We'll keep trying. Lol

Welcome to BYC!

Single chick is 'lonely' and wants to be with a flock.
Maybe put some along the separation fence line so they get used to eating together.
centrarchids suggested technique above is a good one.

It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

My husbands planning on expanding their run this weekend. And we'll put a temporary place fenced off for the lone chick until things get better. So far the fence technique has worked she's less fearful and defensive when they come check her out through the fence. We're happy to see it's working! :D

I'm surprised at the behavior with chicks so young. One month old chicks usually don't show such aggression. Not in my experience anyway. I usually start seeing the nasty playground behavior at around 3 months. Darn, that is sad. I wish they would all just get along! :) I just get so much anxiety when I introduce new flock mates. ugh. I just dread it.

I'm surprised at the behavior with chicks so young. One month old chicks usually don't show such aggression. Not in my experience anyway. I usually start seeing the nasty playground behavior at around 3 months. Darn, that is sad. I wish they would all just get along! :) I just get so much anxiety when I introduce new flock mates. ugh. I just dread it.
I've seen the territoriality aggression as young as a week......
...not sure how old @MizLizArbuckle chicks are tho?

Back
Top Bottom