A cluttered run

good Lord, this is why I can't post pictures, I am sorry for the repeated pictures.

Behind the plywood is a feed bowl that really cannot be seen from most of the rest of the run.
I have the pallet leaned to the east as it is giving shade in the late afternoon.

If you notice the black plastic box, it is used for wind shelter, and there is a feed bowl in front of it, but there is also one behind it, under that old piece of tin. So I have 3 feed stations all out of the sight mostly of any bird at another station.

The old saddle rack and saw horse and the branch in the corner allow my birds to perch in the late afternoon sun. It gives them another way to get away from each other.

Now I realize that many of you live where that much old junk would not be tolerated by the neighbors, but I wanted to give you ideas what maybe you could add to make the run more interesting and safer to your chickens.

This summer I got a single bird, at 10 weeks of age integrated into the flock. She is still a bit of an outcast, but she is working in more and more each day. I won't say she never gets a bit of a chase or a peck, but she can escape and get away.

Hope this perhaps give you some ideas.

Mrs K
My girl is still not 100 percent healed she got messed up pretty badly by my older ones at what point do you think with her head looking like should I even attempt to do the integrating . I’ll put her in the brooder cage for now since keeping her in my home isn’t ideal. Should I make a place to where they can see her just not get to her. I just would hate for something horrible to happen to her again I’ve worked so hard to get her back to normal. My whole back yard is fenced in we did a run but haven’t yet completed it . And a large barn with a lot of space and only have 9 chickens one being a sea bright rooster and he’s a bit mean

Attachments

• 28256703-1E7D-4159-A7C0-828193D8373A.jpeg
    28256703-1E7D-4159-A7C0-828193D8373A.jpeg
    423.8 KB · Views: 187
  • 5719D01E-F16B-4E93-A2F0-F9E63BA5C4E2.jpeg
    5719D01E-F16B-4E93-A2F0-F9E63BA5C4E2.jpeg
    344.5 KB · Views: 131
  • 1934E282-2374-4E6C-AB31-F1D2A45C45B7.jpeg
    1934E282-2374-4E6C-AB31-F1D2A45C45B7.jpeg
    541.8 KB · Views: 135
  • EA01FB90-9279-4F57-B4D0-B853268A0919.jpeg
    EA01FB90-9279-4F57-B4D0-B853268A0919.jpeg
    544.7 KB · Views: 196
Our birds sometimes ‘go up top’ to get away. Even with our Run being 8’ x 25’, I wish I had built the Run larger. I try to give Ours several places to climb on top and also hide under. I don’t want them getting board enough that they start picking at each other.

Attachments

• C2329919-47B6-405C-8598-A94AB25A6E00.jpeg
    C2329919-47B6-405C-8598-A94AB25A6E00.jpeg
    562.7 KB · Views: 227
Thanks for posting the photos! I think it is brilliant!! I hope to have space with no neighbors in my next property to accommodate such a plan. (I now have space, but lovely neighbors and no fences... they might have some thoughts on this as they have very manicured yards 😂). We are extending are current 20 x 10 run an additional 10 feet to create a "chicken playground" to at least make it more interesting. You have given me some great practical ideas.

good Lord, this is why I can't post pictures, I am sorry for the repeated pictures.

Behind the plywood is a feed bowl that really cannot be seen from most of the rest of the run.
I have the pallet leaned to the east as it is giving shade in the late afternoon.

If you notice the black plastic box, it is used for wind shelter, and there is a feed bowl in front of it, but there is also one behind it, under that old piece of tin. So I have 3 feed stations all out of the sight mostly of any bird at another station.

The old saddle rack and saw horse and the branch in the corner allow my birds to perch in the late afternoon sun. It gives them another way to get away from each other.

Now I realize that many of you live where that much old junk would not be tolerated by the neighbors, but I wanted to give you ideas what maybe you could add to make the run more interesting and safer to your chickens.

This summer I got a single bird, at 10 weeks of age integrated into the flock. She is still a bit of an outcast, but she is working in more and more each day. I won't say she never gets a bit of a chase or a peck, but she can escape and get away.

Hope this perhaps give you some ideas.

Mrs K
This is really awesome, thanks for sharing! I definitely think my chickens need this chicken-playground set up as well. 😊

We have a much smaller secure run 8'x12'. But we use the same concept. The outdoor brooder is left partially assembled which provides hiding spots, logs, ramp a roost, a straw bale.. This picture shows some snow. For any major snow the rest of the year I will block the one open wall of the run to keep out more snow.

Attachments

• 20201217_084320 (2).jpg
    20201217_084320 (2).jpg
    614.5 KB · Views: 175
This is really awesome, thanks for sharing! I definitely think my chickens need this chicken-playground set up as well. 😊
I've used a wire dog cage, medium sized from Tractor Supply where I can put a new chicken in so it can become integrated into the flock. The others can see it and get used to it. I have a separate small bucket for feed and one for water which I hang on the inside of the cage with S hooks. Works well. Sometimes it takes a week to 10 days and then I release her. Works for me. I also sometimes put a 'bully hen' into the cage for a few days and this changes the pecking order so bullied birds can get some relief!

Thanks for your help! I still have a few questions!
-How/where can the chicks sleep warmly and comfortably if they can't go in the coop with the biggies yet?
-when I have done the see-but-no-touch, how can I put them together? Night? Day? Free-range? Confined?

@PippinThe Chicken. I train my chicks to go into a small dog crate. Then I carry the crate into the coop. After a couple of days, I carry it into the dog crate, but open the door. In the morning, the chicks run out into the run. And then in a day or two, they find their way back into the coop by themselves.

Personally, I lift the fence along the bottom, and wait till one or two ventures out. After a bit, I give a mock chase, until they scurry under the fence back into the safety zone. And then I let them decide. I lift the fence just a couple of inches so that the chicks can scurry under it, and big girl can't follow.

Mrs K

Yes, I agree, what works for one person, may not work for others. It is just advice I often give, but am not sure if I am making myself clear.

I do think more of an obstacle course does make it more interesting to chickens even in a small run.
This is great. Thank you for posting it!!

Back
Top Bottom