A cluttered run

We have a much smaller secure run 8'x12'. But we use the same concept. The outdoor brooder is left partially assembled which provides hiding spots, logs, ramp a roost, a straw bale.. This picture shows some snow. For any major snow the rest of the year I will block the one open wall of the run to keep out more snow.

I have a run that I keep cluttered so they have places to hide and provide shade for them.

My husband thinks I'm crazy

good Lord, this is why I can't post pictures, I am sorry for the repeated pictures.

Behind the plywood is a feed bowl that really cannot be seen from most of the rest of the run.
I have the pallet leaned to the east as it is giving shade in the late afternoon.

If you notice the black plastic box, it is used for wind shelter, and there is a feed bowl in front of it, but there is also one behind it, under that old piece of tin. So I have 3 feed stations all out of the sight mostly of any bird at another station.

The old saddle rack and saw horse and the branch in the corner allow my birds to perch in the late afternoon sun. It gives them another way to get away from each other.

Now I realize that many of you live where that much old junk would not be tolerated by the neighbors, but I wanted to give you ideas what maybe you could add to make the run more interesting and safer to your chickens.

This summer I got a single bird, at 10 weeks of age integrated into the flock. She is still a bit of an outcast, but she is working in more and more each day. I won't say she never gets a bit of a chase or a peck, but she can escape and get away.

Hope this perhaps give you some ideas.

Mrs K
What a beautiful area you are in! Where do you live?
And great pen! I need more entertainment out there!

What a beautiful area you are in! Where do you live?
And great pen! I need more entertainment out there!
1635106862199.png

I thought I'd put the photos of my previous run here for long-term reference. When we finished the new coop and consolidated the flock, there was nowhere I could see the entire run at once and from chicken height it was even more well-provided with sight-blocks and shelter:

0902210823_HDR.jpg

0902210822b_HDR.jpg

Previously to adding the 2 additional coops it was well-blocked at hen height but I could see it all.

1201201229b_HDR.jpg

0323210907a.jpg

Huh I never posted my clutter either, I just made comments haha. I don't have great photos of it though.

flooding5.jpg

This is my run layout. I move stuff around every once in a while (so right now the brooder and dust bath are swapped). All obstacles against a wall have extra openings cut out to give low ranked birds/young chicks an extra escape route.

Pink Xs are possible feed bowl locations, I have 3-5 bowls of fermented feed out in the morning.

obstacles2021.jpg

I thought I'd put the photos of my previous run here for long-term reference. When we finished the new coop and consolidated the flock, there was nowhere I could see the entire run at once and from chicken height it was even more well-provided with sight-blocks and shelter:

View attachment 2877149

View attachment 2877150

Previously to adding the 2 additional coops it was well-blocked at hen height but I could see it all.

View attachment 2877152

View attachment 2877155
"The country way". I like the setup.
That's what I'm talking about! 🙂

Back
Top Bottom