A Cornish X bounty

I am doing the same thing right now, just started processing the chickens. I am struggling with the cleaning..it takes me for ever to get all the quills out of skin! But I’m excited to get broth and stock! A $1 a pound is fabulous! Did you free range yours? I will read thru the articles, thanks for sharing!
I raised them in a tractor that I moved with in an electric fence. All the details are in the article I posted. :) I keep my cost average down bh ordering extra chicks and selling them. This batch I will also be selling a whole bird at $5/lb. This GREATLY decreased my average.

Thanks @Xouie ! How are your little chicken patties doing?
25 of the 26 we received are going strong. All arrived active and seemingly healthy. But a few days later one just... failed to thrive. Weight gain on the remaining birds has been beautifully consistent. The birds look terrible right now though — they leave massive droppings and then just sit in their own.... :sick:sick And they’re too young to bathe yet.

Curious how you got the feet to cooperate??

Trial and error. I don't like to depend on measuring too much so I bring water to a boil and drop the feet in. 15 seconds later I dump that boiling water in the kitchen sink and run cold water over them to stop them cooking. The spurs and claws twist off and the skin peels pretty easily. If you overcook it the skin shreds. It is a pain.

I'm sure there are better procedures but this works for me. I set a kitchen timer and don't mess around.

I raised them in a tractor that I moved with in an electric fence. All the details are in the article I posted. :) I keep my cost average down bh ordering extra chicks and selling them. This batch I will also be selling a whole bird at $5/lb. This GREATLY decreased my average.

If you do not mind saying what area are you in?. $5lb whole bird maybe I am not realizing current pricing for these pasture raised birds?

If you do not mind saying what area are you in?. $5lb whole bird maybe I am not realizing current pricing for these pasture raised birds?
By me, at a farmers market last year, $5.50 lb for non gmo whole birds. They sold out most days. Can't find organic except in the stores, 4lb for store brand.

Back
Top Bottom