A Coturnix Quail Standard

With the all white (feather plumage, not skin) birds, I haven't had a fertility problem with them. There is a gene that causes low fertility (see my other post which I am still working on)..

Alright, that makes more sense
smile.png

I'll update my own site to get rid of any references to a white meat bird and revise the names I have listed.

I would still like to see more pied patterns available besides Tuxedo. Ones that breed true, anyway. Wouldn't it be possible to create a "hooded" quail that has a dark head/neck and white body that would breed mostly true? Or would that be the "double pied" gene that would result in a white bird?

I promise I'll figure this out eventually. Please forgive any questions you have answered a million times before. I swear I read your site before asking these
smile.png

Just my 2 cents, but the main reason why the term 'pharaoh' can refer to size or color (or species in my area) is because of ignorance. If I went to my local auction with white coturnix people would act like I have some kind of 'new' bird. They know coturnix only as 'pharaohs'...they are ALL pharaohs, regardless of size or color. So I think to keep confusion to a minimum, it's just 'common knowledge' on this forum that a 'pharaoh' is a small, brown, coturnix (aka wild).
smile.png

Quote:
BINGO! SAME THING HERE--- THE AUCTIONEER ONLY KNOWS 2 TYPES OF QUAIL, PHAROAH AND BOB WHITE --- DOESNT MATTER WHAT COLOR OR SIZE, THATS THE 2 TERMS THEY WILL CALL THEM... AND DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON DIFFERENT PHEASANTS OR WATERFOWL....
smack.gif

With this said, I found standards from Registry of Poultry Genetic Stocks and the names are what I was looking for...whoo hoo! I posted the color genetics in another thread. WIth the names of the colors...I have every color on my website (not including the ones the U.S has yet to obtain). I am done with this thread
tongue.png

JJ, thank you for the sites...I am printing it out for my desk of records...you don't want to see my desk right now
lau.gif

Quote:
Pleeeease don't hesitate to be a "broken record"...we
love.gif
your repetitions
can't imagine what we would all do without you experienced ,wise teachers ....
thumbsup.gif

thank all of you for your input every day ,over and over...you are the best!
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom