A couple at a time, or all at once?

MontanaDolphin

Songster
6 Years
Feb 16, 2013
Columbia, Virginia
Two days in a row now I've put my 4 week chicks outside in a movable pen that I sat right next to the secured run that houses my 8 week chicks.

When I introduce them to each other without a barrier, do I do it a couple at a time, or do I put them all in the run at once and see what happens? And, how long should I keep putting them into the separate pen before I DO introduce them? Thanks!

Two days in a row now I've put my 4 week chicks outside in a movable pen that I sat right next to the secured run that houses my 8 week chicks.

When I introduce them to each other without a barrier, do I do it a couple at a time, or do I put them all in the run at once and see what happens? And, how long should I keep putting them into the separate pen before I DO introduce them? Thanks!
I usually do it for a few weeks then let them in. I just hang out and look for any really aggressive behavior. I mean anything beyond the usual pecking. If there is I remove them for a few more days.

So I guess I shouldn't try after only a couple of days then?

And do I introduce a couple at a time, or all of them at once?
You can try any time you want all at once or just a few. You will know very quickly if they will be ok. A little peck that says get out of my way is much different than an attack. One can not easily be mistaken for the other.

I'd do it all at once. There will be more initial chaos but less overall than there would be with repeatedly disturbing their order.

As for how long on the fence-between introduction, I'd give them as much time side-by-side as possible for a few days, at least, and then let them meet up close. If there's no rush, two weeks would help greatly with the size difference because the bigger ones are slowing down now.

Back
Top Bottom