A couple cot production ?s (if you have them look, you can help)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rittert3, Dec 12, 2011.

1. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Ok first of what is your rate of lay like, and what variety/s do you have? I plan to keep tux and "a&m" to start my line from at about 70 degrees and 12-14hrs of light. They will be in rollout pens with 3 quads each and cycled out after 9 months of production. Also what scales do you all use to track weights if you do? Whats the cheapest reliable scale for this use? I think I want a digital scale that will weigh in 1/4 oz. inc.s. Alex, I know you will have some good input here, and so will some others.

2. rittert3

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Right now this season, the reds, golds, jumbo browns, tuxes, and all colors are popping eggs more than I can part with or incubate. The whites are slacking a bit so I am working that bit this next batch and replenishing a bit. 140 more will be added as soon as they hit the weight mark.

As for my scale. I got it for Stella a long time ago when he was little but I stopped weighing the poor guy after some incidents he encountered (not being weighed). It had a perch attached to it but the parrot got rid of that fast [​IMG]. It zeros out and the bird sits on the scale, gets weighed, and put back in the according cage. I believe the scale was ordered off drsfosterandsmith.com

4. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    I'm using a simple digital postal scale I got at office Depot. It will zero out I guess is how you say it.?
    You can put a basket or box and then zero it and put in what you want to weigh. Tare is believe is the word.

I got it several years ago, and I think it was around $20.

5. rittert3

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Ok so the sticky said an egg a day per hen in season or under right conditions. I guess I'm wondering if thats a little long or a little short of what they actually lay. I've been offered a marketing contract for eggs and I want to grow out 30 a month to sell as ready to process meat birds. My overall breeding colony will have 54 hens and 18 cocks and I don't know how many doz. to set my marketing contract for. They said they would want 4-6 doz. a week during the trail period but if they sell good they will want more. I have to sell wholesale to them so I was thinking $1.75/doz.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by