A couple FF questions

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
I've read through the "FF for meat birds" And another fermenting thread on here plus other stuff on other websites. I have just a few question before I get started -

How long do you let it ferment?
Do you need a trough feeder for it or will a hanging tube feeder work?
Do you put in new feed in a new bucket to ferment and add new water/ACV or do you add new feed to already-fermented feed? OR do you put a scoop of already fermented feed in new feed to be a "Starter" for the fermentation process?
Any other tips for a newbie?

Last edited:
When I first started it took about 4 days for the bubbles and the "beer" smell to start. I use a trough style feeder and one of those 3 gal. black rubber feed bowls set on a brick. When I feed I scoop out the amount I need then add another scoop (holds roughly 1 lb) to the already fermented feed bucket. No need to add more ACV as the "mother" is already in that food. All you have to add is some more water and mix it up. After a few days you'll figure out how much water you'll need to add for the amount of feed you put in but until then you'll have to check every once in a while and if its all soaked up and dry looking you need to add a little more water. It took me about a week to figure it out and get the amounts right. Just remember to add some feed every time you take some out so it has time to start the fermentation process

I do not use the double bucket method. I just have everything in one and scoop it out. Mine is a little dryer than what I've seen most people make but that eliminates the need to drain the feed. It really just depends on what works best for you!

Last edited:
You don't want it airtight. The fermenting needs to breathe. I don't think the bucket being a "bit dirty" matters, as long as it doesn't hinder the fermenting or it isn't dirty with something that might harm the chicks. Clean the loose dirt out and rinse the bucket, you should be fine. Chickens will scratch through manure to find food to eat, a little bit of dirt won't bother them.

I guess they do eat worse things.
lol.png
I just put a piece of cardboard over the top of the bucket. Can't wait to feed it to the chickens and see what they think!

when i make up some for my birds the only time its covered in water is when i add said water to the bucket after the feed and acv is already in there. the only time mine get more water is if it gets abit to thick for my liking and even then i never cover it in water i just add small amounts of water till it looks right. when i add more feed to the bucket after taking some FF out i use a second container and put the feed in and then cover with water i also let it absorb atleast half the water before adding it to the FF bucket and that way for me makes sure the FF doesn't end up to loose

and all my chickens from 6 day old chicks to 8 month old hens go crazy for the stuff

I don't keep mine covered in water either. Mine is very thick and that eliminates the step of straining it. I use a ladle to scoop mine out and it holds together rather well like really thick mud.
mines the same way and my chicken prefer it on the thick side as they find it easier to wolf down

Back
Top Bottom