A couple FF questions

....I put in to much vinegar. LOL I guess it won't take as long to ferment!!! Got a second bucket going and will get another in 24 hours. That gives each bucket 2-3 days to ferment.

How many birds are you feeding? A 5 gal bucket 3/4 full will last my 13 3 days. I was going through a 50 lb bag of feed in a week and once I switched to FF it lasts just shy of a month. My coop is not nearly as smelly and the girls (and boy) feathers are so much prettier! I am loving it! My husband is loving the new feed bill, so much that he agreed to let me get and also hatch a few more. I figure my feed bill has gone down to a third of what it was before so that means I can get three times as many birds, right? lol. The ducklings will be a surprise but he does know that more chicks will be here the beginning of May, just doesn't know there will be 25.

I'm feeding 16 chickens. The bucket is about 1/2-3/4 the way full. I guess I'll be experimenting with how much they eat!

So far the girls (and guy) LOVE IT! I do have a question though - how do I know they are getting enough to eat? the FF freezes so I give them a new dish 3 times a day. They always eat like there's no tomorrow for about 5 minutes, but there is always some left...does that mean they are getting enough?

Ok. *phew* I wasn't sure, so I gave the girls some regular dry feed. They basically just billed through it and complained at me.
lol.png

Ok, it REEKS. One bucket smells like puke. It is so strong and sour I want to puke. and the other has mold on it. :(

yours apparently went south somewhere...mine smells sour but its a mild sour smell and no mold.

dump what you've got clean the buckets and trying again and stir it a couple times a day and you should get it to work properly

Back
Top Bottom