1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A couple of questions about a "pair" of Bourbon Reds

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by keyt1969, Mar 12, 2013.

1. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Last year about this time we picked up 12 BBB poults. They were our first experience with turkeys that I think went pretty well. A while after purchasing them. I picked up these two BR that I wanted for pets. I didn't worry about sex then, but now I'm a bit curious.

For a while I thought these two were a pair.

[​IMG]

Although the pic doesn't really show it, the one in the back is larger than the other and also the one I have been thinking is a male.

[​IMG]

The one I believe to be female

[​IMG]

The one I think is male. Am I write or wrong? Until Spring they are in a fairly small enclosure so I haven't seen either display nor a longer snood. Neither one of us can remember if we've heard gobbles lol

Also, when I walk up to the enclosure to feed them, they will both lay down like this. First it was just the one I thought was a female then the other started doing it. Is that normal? Is it a fear thing? When I feed them I will pet them and they will both make noises that sounds like a purring cat! As soon as i leave they get up to eat.

2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    they are both hens and they both think your their tom thats why they lay down for you.

1 person likes this.
  3. doop

doop Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    n.e minnesota
    +1. My hand raised hen lays down for me too, but the hen raised wants nothing to do with me.

4. Ryan521

Ryan521 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    I agree, but those aren't bourbon reds. I might be wrong but bourbon reds are a chestnut color with white on the tail and wings. I'm new to turkeys but the only way they could be bourbons is if they are crosses.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  5. Kitty86

Kitty86 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    yeah i was about to say those dont look like the burbon red tom i had.. he was red with white tail with red tips and white parts on his wings

6. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah I kinda wondered that myself. I was thinking BR and BBB. Oh well I don't really care. I was debating what to do with them. Although they are very sweet, I really wanted a BR pair. If I could find eggs that I could trust would be fertile I'd buy some. Last year a friend of mine graciously purchased a total of 14 BR eggs for me and not one of them were fertile.

Thanks for the help everyone!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by