A couple of quick questions: Flock dynamics and genetics

Bakbuk

Howdy!
Oct 20, 2021
It varies from moment to moment
Two-parter here.

So, first of all-- I have a flock of thirteen ducks (four drakes, nine hens).
Can somebody please remind me of the optimal drake-to-hen ratio for the average flock? Sorry, it's been a while and I'm rusty.

Secondly- is anybody here good with duck genetics? Hatched out a lot of babies this year and am still trying to figure out all the crosses and the parents.

I think the optimum ratio is one drake to four or five females.

Are they all the same breed? Otherwise it is going to be pretty difficult, IMO, to tell which are the parents if they have all been together. At least with my Muscovy ducks, there is no regard to relationships when it comes to mating. My flock is divided into two groups during mating season with one drake with four females. The ducklings still grow up into a variety of colours.

I think the optimum ratio is one drake to four or five females.

Are they all the same breed? Otherwise it is going to be pretty difficult, IMO, to tell which are the parents if they have all been together. At least with my Muscovy ducks, there is no regard to relationships when it comes to mating. My flock is divided into two groups during mating season with one drake with four females. The ducklings still grow up into a variety of colours.
Ah, thank you.

Nope, they're quite the assortment of breeds actually, heh. 😄

Here's a list of all the possible parents-

Drakes:

1 Blue Sweedish
1 Buff Orpington

Hens:

1 Khaki Campbell
1 White layer
2 Buff orpington

I’m no expert, but genetics fascinates me. Here is what I would expect.

The Blue Swedish drake with all three hens should result in offspring that look like blue or black Swedish, blue or black bibbed (unless the white layer has the runner gene, then you might get spots like an Ancona too).

The Buff Orpington drake crossed with a Khaki hen should make dusky blue fawn ducklings.

The Buff Orpington crossed with the white layer could result in many different things. The recessive white allele prevents color from being put in the feathers. But, they still carry the genes for the different color patterns. So, if you have ducklings that you can’t explain, they probably came from her.

I hope this helps. I would love to see pictures! This link explains explains genetics really well.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mallard-derived-duck-color-genetics-basics.74277/

The Blue Swedish drake with all three hens should result in offspring that look like blue or black Swedish, blue or black bibbed (unless the white layer has the runner gene, then you might get spots like an Ancona too).
This is facts. There are three hens (Talking about this year's babies) that have a very distinct Blue Sweedish pattern, with a little variability of course between them.

Then there's a fourth hen with a similar pattern, but the vibes are just different. You'll see when I post photos.

Something interesting about both of the young drakes is that they both seem to carry a strong Khaki Campbell drake pattern, but are not the same color. Both have dark heads, but one is a slaty gray mixed with blacks and blues, while the other has a light tan color over most of the body.

In any case, they're all really pretty, super cute, and I'm really glad I hatched out these babies this year. Hopefully I can get photos up here soon.

This is facts. There are three hens (Talking about this year's babies) that have a very distinct Blue Sweedish pattern, with a little variability of course between them.

Then there's a fourth hen with a similar pattern, but the vibes are just different. You'll see when I post photos.

Something interesting about both of the young drakes is that they both seem to carry a strong Khaki Campbell drake pattern, but are not the same color. Both have dark heads, but one is a slaty gray mixed with blacks and blues, while the other has a light tan color over most of the body.

In any case, they're all really pretty, super cute, and I'm really glad I hatched out these babies this year. Hopefully I can get photos up here soon.
I believe the slaty gray drake is a dusky blue fawn. I look forward to seeing the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom