A couple of things I need help with about my Leghorn Rooster.

seasey

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2017
So, I have 7 chickens: 5 hens and 2 roosters. One rooster likes to assert his dominance over the others and that's whatever. But, I have one rooster. Just to give you a look. He's a white leghorn with a curved comb. He looks pretty funky. Anyway, he always cowers away from the other chickens because of the rooster. This makes all the hens peck him except for the only rhode island red I have. She's 1 of the 2 RIR's I had that lived through the baby chickie phase. They're all about 5-7 weeks old now. I don't know what to do. He won't eat with the flock because the rooster will just peck him away and hurt him. He just sits at the other side of the cage, scared that the other rooster will hurt him in some way. He started to make this noise like he can almost crow. The other rooster can but he can't. So, he does a long screeching-ish noise like he's trying to. So, really, I would love if someone could give me a solution for the rooster hurting the other, causing the other hens and stuff to want to peck him as well. and he's almost crowing noise. Could it be that he's the only one who has runny poops? maybe they think he's dirtier and not like him? I don't know. Please help me. Thank you. (This is my first time raising chickens.)

I think you should seperate the other rooster from the cowardish rooster and let the cowardish rooster step up from his scared phase and possibly get along with your hens
I think u should do that but i could be wrong

How long do you think? Also, should I put a hen or 2 with the mean rooster?

So, I have 7 chickens: 5 hens and 2 roosters. One rooster likes to assert his dominance over the others and that's whatever. But, I have one rooster. Just to give you a look. He's a white leghorn with a curved comb. He looks pretty funky. Anyway, he always cowers away from the other chickens because of the rooster. This makes all the hens peck him except for the only rhode island red I have. She's 1 of the 2 RIR's I had that lived through the baby chickie phase. They're all about 5-7 weeks old now. I don't know what to do. He won't eat with the flock because the rooster will just peck him away and hurt him. He just sits at the other side of the cage, scared that the other rooster will hurt him in some way. He started to make this noise like he can almost crow. The other rooster can but he can't. So, he does a long screeching-ish noise like he's trying to. So, really, I would love if someone could give me a solution for the rooster hurting the other, causing the other hens and stuff to want to peck him as well. and he's almost crowing noise. Could it be that he's the only one who has runny poops? maybe they think he's dirtier and not like him? I don't know. Please help me. Thank you. (This is my first time raising chickens.)

When there are at least two roosters, you will have a dominant and submissive. That is the natural order of things. If you separate those roosters for a couple of days, reintroducing them will create mortal enemies, and what roosters can do to another is completely vicious.

So, is there anything I can do? they always fight and the submissive one just lays down and runs from all the chicks. They just step over him and treat him bad.

It sounds like they're young, so they might start getting along better as they get older. Your other option could be separating one of your roosters, either by himself or with a few hens, whatever you think best.

I'll just let them be teenagers for now. After all, this only just started, they hopefully will sort it out.

Back
Top Bottom