Status
Not open for further replies.

silkiechicken

Staff PhD
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Everett WA/Corvallis OR
So I was wondering. Since there has been so many debates going on that get threads locked. Would it be inappropriate to make a debate section? Like put it at the bottom and give it big warnings or something? That way when people disagree on something, they can make a thread there and go argue in that instead in the main forum threads? That way if people don't want to see it, they don't have to?

That way people can carry it to "Debate" rather than having it in like the general section?

Think that's a good idea?

I think a debate section would end up being a fighting section and would not accomplish much in terms of the educational foundation we are trying to supply here. People can certainly post alternative responses within a post, as long as it stays on topic and helpful to the original person posting. It is argumentative posts that end up locked, not educational ones. What works for one may not work for another, which is why these boards are so helpful..it gives people alternative choices from other people's experiences.

Jody

That's the problem I've seen so far, lots of topics aren't staying on topic. I was just wondering if there was a way to maybe make something separate where others could dual it out so the ones here wanting to learn don't even have to see it. I see your point in that it undermines the education foundation that is trying to be supplied. But, since we are here to learn and at times things can be touchy, when a thread turns into a fight, it becomes distracting to those who are here and want to learn.

What I am thinking of is like the car or flashlight forums where fights are not tolerated in the forum it's self, but if they take it to the "debate" or "underground", nobody who doesn't want to see or join in does not see it. Ideally debates would go through email but since this is a board and people want to share their opinions, a place where they could do that would be more satisfactory? Put a disclaimer on it?
idunno.gif

Thread drift has definitely been a problem on some threads.
wink.png

I never thought having or expressing different ideas was a problem on this forum. An exchange of ideas is important here. What I see as a problem is when some people don't care about exchanging ideas, they just want to change everyone else to think exactly like they do. Since just voicing their own opinion hasn't worked to change everyone else's opinion, it then degrades into hostility and name calling.

If they want to make a section called debate, I don't think I'll ever be in it, because that's pretty much where anyone that wants to act like an anti-social jerk is going to show up. The nice people will just express their ideas in the appropriate sections and let it go, leaving other people to make up their own minds. If they're going to have the same rules about polite behavior, staying on topic in a thread and not discussing topics like cock fighting, dog fighting or PETA, then I'm not sure what the point of the section would be. If they want to leave all behaviors and topics wide open, well, then I know for a fact I won't be there. :eek:

Really, I'm ok with whatever gets decided.

Quote:
I think it would be a good idea, if we could just get the bobo's that want to argue about everything to go there. I was just thinking a few minutes ago, Sheesh, we can't even have a civil discussion anymore. Everything has to turn into a fuss. I confess, I do have strong opinions on some things, but they're big things like religion & politics & I keep 'em to myself for the most part. Some people here lately want to start a ruckus over every little thing!

It might be nice to have a spot where someone could say Hey, I fell like a brat today, come over here and let me argue with you, since the fenceposts in my yard won't answer. At least then maybe the rest of us can have civil informative exchange of ideas & information.
smile.png

We have a Rant'N & Raving section on another BB that works great. They go there to discuss politic and what not so the rest of us don't have to look at it or read it.

I understand the thinking of those who want a debate section, but in the long run I think it's only going to attract more of the types that just want to fight and take their frustrations out on others, and that attitude will end up leaking out to the other sections.

Those who want to fight, bully, and act like we're all still in junior high have tons of other forums on the web they can go to. Most people that act like that are just looking to push someone else's buttons and not to really debate or learn anything anyway, and if you ignore them and don't give them the reaction they want, they'll get bored and go somewhere else.

The problem with debating on the web is that a lot of people just don't know how to debate but still respect people who have different opinions than they do. Debating done right is a learning experience for the debaters and all those who read it, not an exuse to fight and abuse someone. Personally, I love to respectfully debate someone because it gives me the chance to look at something from a different perspective.

When I first came to this forum, there were a lot of threads here where people respectfully disagreed with each other. I thought: "Great! I can really learn something here!" and I did. But more and more, it's just one fight session after another, which is sad.

I can see both sides of the fence equally here. I do agree that something needs to be done to stop all the people that only come on to ruffle everyones feathers. There are a few people that are yet to do anything but try to stir problems. I myself have bought into some of the arguements. And it would be kind of nice to have some where to go and duke it out aside from the original thread. I have seen way to many really good threads get locked because some one got mad about the pictures, or how someone took care of a problem. But on the other hand to creating a debate section would feed the the problem not stop it. I think in the long run we all need to just ignore posts that will start a problem. If no one posts back a response then no one can get into a fight, and thus we wont have threads locked becuase of it? Right? I know that probably wishful thinking.

I agree
I think a "rantNrave" or free for all section would be fine.
Some people like to debate fiercly. Some don't.
I am not one who likes censorship.
If people want to talk about guns, politics, religion, Peta,
what of it?
As it stands now you can talk in "me-my family-my chickens"
about non chicken related subjects, as long as it's warm and fuzzy and offends no one. What I find totally fine, offends others and vice versa. It's a fact of life. So we just block anything that might , or does, offend some one?
I see blocked topics on arguments over graphic pics, firearms, even one having to do with someone selling bunk goods. This one seems pointed towards helping ppl not get ripped off, but appears it was shut down to protect the scammer from "Flaming."
I say let him have it, he should know better!
I say let ppl discuss what they wish. If it is not kosher to enough ppl, then the ppl will squash it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom