A defector from Chooks to Dukes

When butchering male ducks are there any precautions to take as to not spoil the flavor of the meat?
How old is too old? Are they as easy to clean as a chicken?

Pongoid, ducks are harder to pluck than chickens. Mostly because it is very difficult to actually get the scalding water down to the skin. Ducks are waterproof.

There are discussions about butchering ducks over in the meat bird section.

A note about the eggs - you get the high Omega 3 fatty acids if your poultry is free ranged, eating a variety of yard stuff as well as their layer ration. This holds for both chickens and ducks. They have a larger, higher protein egg. It can be a bit rubbery if you fry it too long, but its wonderful for baking.

I don't think ducks are generally as friendly as chickens, but mine aren't fearful of me, they just aren't affectionate. I do find mine go through a flighty phase as older ducklings and settle down at about a year... except the Saxonys and the Silver Appleyards who are just plain laid back all the time! They are not strong laying breeds though, they were bred for meat. I've found Anconas and Welsh Harlequins to be pretty calm too, they are bred for eggs. I think ducks are hilarious, they make me laugh. I haven't had chickens since I was a kid, so not much comparison there for personality.

Ducks are hard to pluck, they have waterproof feathers and about three times as many of them as chickens. To pluck them, I hose up under their feathers with the garden hose, add a bit of dish soap to the scald water and scald them a bit hotter and a bit longer than chickens. It helps, it's still work.

Ducks make a big mess out of water.... however, they are so much fun to watch in the water, I find it's worth it to me.

My female still hasn't produced an egg...she is almost 7 months old. It is winter though...does this mean she won't lay til spring?

Turns out my female is really a male so I am planning on sacrificing some for Christmas. I hear that its hard to pluck a duck because scalding doesn't work very well due to the water tight nature of a ducks plumage.

Any tricks or pointers?

Back
Top Bottom