a different kind of hawk problem

Hawks are Federally Protected. You can try to scare it away, but you cant hurt it. Eventually it will fly away and find better pastures possibly.
Red Tail hawks are not the most dangerous to pigeons. Most pigeons can out-fly them.. Ornamentals and rollers are probably not in the category of FAST FLYING. :idunno
A Cooper's hawk is much faster flying, therefore more likely to catch pigeons. There are many other flying raptors as well. List is pretty long. In my area the Red Tail, and Cooper's are only ones I spotted.
This is the time when hawks migrate for the season. Maybe it will fly into warmer area from your location.
I doubt very much the hawk is the reason for your pigeons not breeding. Many factors and possibly complex may be what gets pigeons into parenthood.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Ok thanks, coopers have gotten a few of mine when flying. A red tail also got one of my quail through the wire, now there in a hawk proof pen. I will just hope that it goes off somewhere else. Thanks

Can you eliminate some of the places where the hawk perches? If so, do that, and then use tarps on the coop to block off places where the hawk can see your birds, and vice versa. Out of sight, out of mind. But I agree with cavemanrich-- there are probably other reasons why your birds aren't breeding, so if the problem persists, then you are going to have to do some investigating as to why.

If i do I will have very little ventilation, but that is a very good idea otherwise. Thanks everyone
Can you eliminate some of the places where the hawk perches? If so, do that, and then use tarps on the coop to block off places where the hawk can see your birds, and vice versa. Out of sight, out of mind. But I agree with cavemanrich-- there are probably other reasons why your birds aren't breeding, so if the problem persists, then you are going to have to do some investigating as to why.

Back
Top Bottom