A different panting question

ArnoldoOfferman

Chirping
Jan 11, 2016
Hey everyone! I've been searching the forums and can't find anyone in the same scenario I am in:

My chickens pant a lot. Of course they will, I live in Florida and it's June. :(

They have LOTS of shade. Under the coops (they're raised), and 8x10 tarp, shrubbery, and underneath the overhang of our house. (We have 11 hens in a 20x75' run).

They have water with electrolyte mix for chickens.
They have water with Apple cider.
They have a small fan.
I give them frozen treats almost daily.

I see a few panting even at night, and it's barely 80º then.

Egg production doesn't seem hindered. We have 10 pullets and 9-10 eggs a day x 7 days a week.

Any ideas?

Edit: We give them (whole) corn and oats daily along with their layer feed (also have another feeder with feather repair feed).

No scratch as I heard that can increase body temps, does this also apply for corn and oats?

As always, thank you, all!

Last edited:
Just as we sweat when it's hot because that is the way healthy humans cool their bodies in hot climates, chickens pant. It's a sign of a healthy response to heat. You don't become overly concerned when you see a dog or cat panting on a hot day, so there's also no need to be concerned when you see chickens pant.

You are already doing all the right things to make your chickens comfortable during summer. Another thing you might try is freezing a can of corn inside a block of ice. My chickens love pecking at the ice to get to the corn niblets and in the process they ingest the cold melt water. A block lasts almost the entire day and is both cooling and entertaining.

Thanks! I do the corn thing as well... I had read that non-stop panting wasn't good, but I'm glad to see it's normal. MUCH appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom